Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Tablet for radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tablet for radio

Has anyone installed a Tablet in there truck? I can pick up an Acer Tablet for $300 which can stream Netflix, Pandora and I Heart Radio to name a few or I can buy a 1k touchscreen dvd player that doesnt stream jack ****. ... The choice seems pretty obvious to me but has anyone done it? I did see that a few months back someone posted the Ipod mounted in the F150 vid but they want stupid money for that. I was looking at just finding a way to mount it and still utilizing my stock radio/cd as well. Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterGator
Has anyone installed a Tablet in there truck? I can pick up an Acer Tablet for $300 which can stream Netflix, Pandora and I Heart Radio to name a few or I can buy a 1k touchscreen dvd player that doesnt stream jack ****. ... The choice seems pretty obvious to me but has anyone done it? I did see that a few months back someone posted the Ipod mounted in the F150 vid but they want stupid money for that. I was looking at just finding a way to mount it and still utilizing my stock radio/cd as well. Any thoughts?
I have been wanting to do this. Assuming that I use the PAC's MS-FRD1 to retain SYNC settings and steering wheel buttons, my two big questions about it are:

1) When you pair your phone to the tablet to use all the features you will want such as google navigation or streaming media, will you still be able to pair up with the SYNC functions of the car for handsfree calling?

2) How do you get into the settings for the SYNC once you rip out the factory head unit? They are not all voice activated such as the initial phone pairing or deleting devices.

If you notice in the F-150 ipad video, it looked impressive unless you own the truck and know the details. They completely covered the display unit at the top so no more internal HVAC temperature if you own the Lariat or external temperature display. Also, how do you get into the menu settings of all the SYNC settings without the menu buttons on the factory head unit. Steering control buttons were lost too I assume. They were sitting in a garage with wifi, which is the only reason they were able to use facetime. I was excited to see that video until I realized what all they sacrificed.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been toying with the idea of putting it in my dash but like you I want to keep my stock radio / sync. I also want it to look clean and as stock as possible. Problem is all the car mounts look ugly when your iPad is not in it. I decided to go with a simple solution or now. I placed a piece of fabric inside my smart compatible back case. And slid it thru the magnetic bracket on my smart cover. I placed velco strips on the back side of the fabric sticking out. Then place a Velcro strip on the teat in front of my sync display. So when I get in the car I simply place the iPad on the Velcro strip.
Attached Thumbnails Tablet for radio-image-3090632030.jpg   Tablet for radio-image-2846179737.jpg   Tablet for radio-image-766333559.jpg   Tablet for radio-image-652715914.jpg   Tablet for radio-image-3540491364.jpg  

Tablet for radio-image-1516642685.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing this with my ipad 2, but the fact is i dont wanna leave my 600$ tablet sitting in the cold and heat of the extreme temperatures I get. Now I would buy a kindle fire (200$), to do all of this but once again i dont want an ugly bracket with cords all over the place. Anybody find a way around this?

Quick Reply: Tablet for radio