Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

System installed today.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System installed today.....HELP

Just picked up my patty from the install shop this afternoon. Had the following installed:
Audio control lcq1
Rockford fosgate punch 1000/5
Jl audio 8 inch sub
Infinity Kappy 682.11 speakers (rear doors)
Didn't replace front speakers yet as still looking for a good deal on some components - this will be done soon

Anyways, this "upgraded" system sounds crappy! The highs make my ears bleed. There is no "warmth" to the system or depth in the sound at all. Frankly it sounds like an 18year olds ear piercing, bass booming hoopty audio set up. Please tell me this is something I can rectify with a little calibration with the lcq1 I just dumped $1500 on gear/install and could not be more disappointed! The
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Others may not agree, but I have found that EQ's are my friend....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To start with you can pull your door panels and turn off the 3db treble boost on the Kappa tweeters. Roll off some bass and treble in your HU to get a little more mid range. If that still isn't enough, I believe you can tweak the LCQ-1's input frequency levels in a similar manner as an EQ. Be patient, take some time, and find that warm fuzzy zone that you like. Then once you get your component speakers put in the front doors and A posts, start all over again!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Take it back to whoever installed it and have them adjust it correctly.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Take it back to whoever installed it and have them adjust it correctly.
What sounds good to one person does not necessarily sound good to another. The installer probably thought it sounded great with his music.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tbzep
What sounds good to one person does not necessarily sound good to another. The installer probably thought it sounded great with his music.
And it is your truck not his so it should be done the way you want it done
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
And it is your truck not his so it should be done the way you want it done
Agreed, but my point is that the installer probably doesn't perceive sound the same way and likely won't be able to tweak it the way the owner wants it as well as the owner himself could do.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tweeked the LCQ1 a bit, it is kinda hard to figure out. Anyway, I used the HU and faded more power to the rears, that with the tweeking of the LCQ1 did improve overall sound and took away a lot of the "tinny" sound coming from the fronts. I'll continue to mess with it - however it will be going back to the installer due to the loud "hiss/pop" i hear frpm th e speakers when powering off the stereo/truck

One real positive, the Kappa's that we put in the rear doors sound fantastic. They are really nice, wondering if sending that amount of juice to the Sony components in the front is a big part of the problem.

I have high expectations for the amount of $$ I spent. Kicking myself in the rear at this moment for even taking the plunge and trying this
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Your front speakers should be the focal point of your system. You upgraded everything except the MOST IMPORTANT PART. I would expect it to sound bad until you get a good set of speakers in the front

Last edited by king nothing; 09-30-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by king nothing
Your front speakers should be the focal point of your system. You upgraded everything except the MOST IMPORTANT PART. I would expect it to sound bad until you get a good set of speakers in the front
Good catch King.

I can't believe an installer of any quality would let a system leave his shop with a pop/hiss

Quick Reply: System installed today.....HELP