Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

System for a 2010 Super Crew

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System for a 2010 Super Crew

Howdy! I bought a 2010 F-150 XLT Super Crew yesterday, and want to get a few ideas for a future audio upgrade. I would like to keep the factory head unit if possible. I would like to upgrade the front/rear speakers, and add a sub/amp hidden of course. Preferably under one of the front seats. I have two little girls in car seats in the back. Is it even possible to hook up an amp with the factory head unit? My truck has the sync system installed. I listen to heavy metal, mostly death and thrash if that helps. Obviously I'm not an audiophile, but do like good clear sound. I'm looking to spend around $1000-$1200. What should I be looking at for the best bang for my buck. Thanks for any tips!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 AM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a great system for that, and yes, its possible to hook amps up to the stock HU with some sort of line output converter. I would also recommend mounting the amps behind the back seats against the walls than under the seats..

check out my install i did on my 2010 for some ideas:

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/finish...install-48496/

Feel free to ask anymore questions, there are a few guys on here that really know their stuff, and are more than willing to help...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 AM

So I take it that there is no heat issues with mounting them behind the seat? Where is the best place to shop for parts, and what parts will net the best bang for the buck. I'll prolly get the system installed. I'm a mechanic, not a stereo installer. Messing up my new truck makes my nervous. I'm used to ripping into gas/diesel engines Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

For equipment: Sonicelectronix.com, woofersetc.com, dealercostcaraudio.com, techtronics.com

For wires: knuconcepts.com

For dampening: read sounddeadenershowdown.com

Best thing to do is find the model you want then put it in google shopping and sort by low price.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GATORB8
For equipment: Sonicelectronix.com, woofersetc.com, dealercostcaraudio.com, techtronics.com

For wires: knuconcepts.com

For dampening: read sounddeadenershowdown.com

Best thing to do is find the model you want then put it in google shopping and sort by low price.
I recommend all those places too, i ended up getting my speakers from audiosavings.com, also worth a check, they were about $10 cheaper than the other places.

Also, I am not a stereo installer easier, i think you would be able to do it just fine if your a mechanic, since you are inclined to mess with things, but if you feel more comfortable getting it done, whatever floats your boat...

good luck
Old 04-23-2010, 01:11 AM

I did a quick search, and came up with these. I know JL is on the higher end of speakers, so any ideas on something comparable and cheaper would be welcome. I have no idea on what amp to use. I would like to add a sub at some point, and use only one amp. What would be a good amp. I would also like suggestions on a sub that would use the least amount of real estate. Thanks again for the help!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io+C5-570.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+C2-570X.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...GRAY+LC6-.html
Old 04-23-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I just completed the install of a system on my 2019 screw. I used a Pioneer Double din, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Infinity Reference 6832's in all 4 doors, and a JL Audio power wedge with a 8" woofer. I tied teh Pioneer head unit into the factory wiring harness via a PAC integration wiring kit. The only thing that I cant seem to get working is my steering wheel controls. Other than that , the sound is absolutely awesome and night and day from the factory system. I think I am into my system for about $1200, but it does blow my buddies Platinums system away!...grin
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM

A single 10 would keep you at only half the floorspace under your back seat: http://www.supercrewsound.com/commer...d=375&catId=58

A Dayton HO has the depth and is well reviewed at a good price: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-462

I like the new Class D four channels that are our now because of their significantly smaller size and better efficiency. Alpine's PDX series, JL's XD and HD, Pioneer, Kenwood and others make them now.

Don't rule out 6 1/2" components, they fit the 6x8 openings with adapter plates you can make or buy for around $5. Some well recognized top shelf brands are CDT, Image Dynamics, RE, Focal, Diamond, JL, Rainbow. When you find a model, check diyma.com and caraudiomag.com for a review.

Rear fill comes down to personal preference, you'll probably want something for rear passengers. Either coaxials like you mention above, or a good option is just a mid woofer that is bandpassed (only plays mid notes). If your rear doors play the higher frequencies, they tend to pull your soundstage toward the back of the truck.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 PM

I have a similar question. I took my new 2010 SCREW to my local audio shop and told them that I must keep the head unit, i can not mount any subs or amps behind the seats (i need the storage for work) and that I was basically looking for an amp to mount behind the head unit and new speakers.

The guy said this, "Look, I could sell you the Alpine (I forget the part number) amp that mounts behind the stock head unit and I could sell you the best speakers we have and your truck will still sound like S!@# So don't waste your money."

So was this kid right or was he just being a douche? If he was, what are my options to get the best possible sound with my limitations?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Now
I have a similar question. I took my new 2010 SCREW to my local audio shop and told them that I must keep the head unit, i can not mount any subs or amps behind the seats (i need the storage for work) and that I was basically looking for an amp to mount behind the head unit and new speakers.

The guy said this, "Look, I could sell you the Alpine (I forget the part number) amp that mounts behind the stock head unit and I could sell you the best speakers we have and your truck will still sound like S!@# So don't waste your money."

So was this kid right or was he just being a douche? If he was, what are my options to get the best possible sound with my limitations?
I think he was talking about the Alpine KTP-445, which because of it's permanent gain setting would probably get you closer to 20-25W RMS per channel, which would be an improvement over stock, but nothing like a full featured amplifier.

Is there any room under the front seats you could use? A small 2 channel amp on some nice front components will at least sound better than stock.

Quick Reply: System for a 2010 Super Crew