Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Surround Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Surround Sound

Is there away that we can set up our system to be surround sound, basically I like to install a center speaker for my mids-high but do not know how I could make it work (wiring). Will have a Pioneer 4200DVD install this weekend.

Basically would rather get rid of my rear speakers and use those wires for the center speaker but am not sure if it can be done without damaging the HU.

Instead of having 5 speakers, I would only have 3 for now and later on would get an amp and subwoofer.

Thank you
Old 03-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

You would not get TRUE surround sound as in a home theater sense but you could like you said just mount a center spaeker and then use the wiring for one of the rear speakers to run the center speaker. Just find which wire combo is for the rears and tap into them behind the HU.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks

That's what I'm going to do, have some new Components Pioneers coming in tomorrow so I'll set it up where the tweeters are in the center of the vehicle
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
You would not get TRUE surround sound as in a home theater sense but you could like you said just mount a center spaeker and then use the wiring for one of the rear speakers to run the center speaker. Just find which wire combo is for the rears and tap into them behind the HU.
Would this not draw half the power from that one speaker creating half the power to the center and to that one rear speaker while the other rear would have full power and sound louder under higher volume?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM

If I'm not wrong, by connecting the center speaker in parallel with either the front or rear speaker, it would work but I think that it would drop the ohm rate from 4 to 2 which would work but I might wrong. Since I'll be installing components speakers in the front, I could install both tweeters in the center of the dash and just run them to their crossover unit. You would then have 2 center speakers instead of 1, hopefully they're directional speakers so I can direct them to their respective side of the cabin.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is all wrong!!! And for the love of god please don't put Ur tweeters in the setter of the dash how would this make any sence at all?? Ur left channel tweet would be coming from the right in the drivers seat and visa versa... If u want a center channel u need a DVD head unit that has center RCA outs that u hook and amp too... And u shouldn't even need a center channel if u set up your components correctly. There is more to audio than just throwing in an extra speaker and making it sound good. All it would do is get a slight bit louder. And if u hook the center in parallel with another speaker it will only blur the entire soundstage!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bigshane90
This is all wrong!!! And for the love of god please don't put Ur tweeters in the setter of the dash how would this make any sence at all?? Ur left channel tweet would be coming from the right in the drivers seat and visa versa... If u want a center channel u need a DVD head unit that has center RCA outs that u hook and amp too... And u shouldn't even need a center channel if u set up your components correctly. There is more to audio than just throwing in an extra speaker and making it sound good. All it would do is get a slight bit louder. And if u hook the center in parallel with another speaker it will only blur the entire soundstage!
x2
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Ok! I get it, lol! Just a thought. I just miss my Bose system in my old CX7, the sound was great and wish that I could have the same in my truck.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nash04
Ok! I get it, lol! Just a thought. I just miss my Bose system in my old CX7, the sound was great and wish that I could have the same in my truck.
Bet it sounded great. But what you don't see is all the electronics and circuits that Bose use in there amps and HU's
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash04
You can definitely beat the Blose system, and you can do a full processed surround, but you can't get the results the way your are thinking.

There are a few 5.1 mobile sound processors out there, you will need an external amp, though. You don't need a center channel for stereo music reproduction, though.

Quick Reply: Surround Sound