Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

SubWoofer Power Question

Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default SubWoofer Power Question

I just ordered the Sound Ordnance B-8PT self-powered Sub. I plan to install it behind the rear seat back on my 2012 Screw as a number of other members have done. My question regards powering this unit, it has it's own 15A fuse so it's not pulling a lot of amperage. A post on another forum had the user tapping power from the lighter socket feed as it's a 12 gauge wire on a 20A fuse/breaker. Any thoughts ?? This would save the trouble of getting through the firewall to the battery. Thanx
Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by twotoilets
I just ordered the Sound Ordnance B-8PT self-powered Sub. I plan to install it behind the rear seat back on my 2012 Screw as a number of other members have done. My question regards powering this unit, it has it's own 15A fuse so it's not pulling a lot of amperage. A post on another forum had the user tapping power from the lighter socket feed as it's a 12 gauge wire on a 20A fuse/breaker. Any thoughts ?? This would save the trouble of getting through the firewall to the battery. Thanx
I wouldn't do that. Pulling a larger wire thru the firewall is easy and then it would be done correctly.
The following users liked this post:
twotoilets (06-11-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would NOT pull power from in the cab. definitely run another wire (only needs to be 8 Gauge at most) and a separate fuse right off the battery. Its safer, will provide better power to the amp and will have less issues in the future if you decide to use that 12 outlet for anything else.
twotoilets (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Largen
i would NOT pull power from in the cab. definitely run another wire (only needs to be 8 Gauge at most) and a separate fuse right off the battery. Its safer, will provide better power to the amp and will have less issues in the future if you decide to use that 12 outlet for anything else.
^^
Thank you for the helpful recommendations, I'll follow your advice and run a feed from the battery
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by twotoilets
^^
Thank you for the helpful recommendations, I'll follow your advice and run a feed from the battery
No prob! Might take a little longer but it will definitely work better and safer, good luck on the instal!

Largen~
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Running the wire through the firewall takes 15 minutes, there's a few grommets you can poke through that are already there so no drilling is needed.
Run the wire from the battery as the others have stated.
twotoilets (06-12-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
Running the wire through the firewall takes 15 minutes, there's a few grommets you can poke through that are already there so no drilling is needed.
Run the wire from the battery as the others have stated.
I don't suppose someone has a shot of where this super easy firewall grommet is located do they? I am a bit stymied right now on where to pull the 4 gauge for my amp install on my 2011 F150. Is it behind the glove box?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by azcoyote
I don't suppose someone has a shot of where this super easy firewall grommet is located do they? I am a bit stymied right now on where to pull the 4 gauge for my amp install on my 2011 F150. Is it behind the glove box?
Yes. Firewall behind the glove box. Grommet has a tit on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SubWoofer Power Question