Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Subwoofer noise help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer noise help

Today I just installed a ten inch Rockford sub. I had supercrew sound.com make a box for me, the way it is made for the super cab is that it sits under the back seat with the subwoofer facing down. But I noticed along with the bass, i'm getting a vibration sound the subwoofer is vibrating against something or is there actually something wrong with the subwoofer? please help
Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where is your ground at? and where are your rca's ran?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Facing down, as in facing completely down? If so, I would definitely change something or get a box where it is up, cause how else can the subwoofer breath? But hope you figure the noise out.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Car Audio Junkie

there is nothing wrong with a downfire box which is what you have
Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM

yea it has plenty of room to breath(about 2 inches worth) but the sound is just annoying, its not distorted its just along with the bass i hear that crinkly/vibration sound
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM

yea it has plenty of room to breath(about 2 inches worth) but the sound is just annoying, its not distorted its just along with the bass i hear that crinkly/vibration sound. I think it is because the box is facing down. Does anyone have a link/store where I can find a box that fits a supercrew where the subwoofer is facing up?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Car Audio Junkie

before you go spend money on another box figure out why your sub isnt working in that one first, there is nothing wrong with a downfire box...i doubt thats why your having noise..i bet its because you have a weak ground or loose ground, or your rca's are ran close to your power wire or they need to be grounded out..something simple to fix versus spending 100+ bucks on another box
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it happen all the time or only at certain volumes or certain frequencies?

Could be a leak in the box, or a malfunction in the woofer. While its playing check the box out very closely to see if you hear air leaking out.

To check the woofer, pull it out and play it free air with very very low power. If the coil is mis-aligned it will be contacting the gap which makes a very annoying vibration sound.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 PM

may sound crazy, but I had a vibration noise from my subs. Even bought new ones. Come to find out the amp was trying to play in stereo according to the installer. He simply hooked a y connector rca up to the amp and bingo no problems. I don't know much about car audio, but It fixed my problem.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer noise help