Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Subjective: Which is the *best* sub / amp combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Subjective: Which is the *best* sub / amp combo?

I know it's subjective but I keep looking and browsing but I just can't seem to find the *best* set of subs / amp for our vehicles. Doesn't matter if its a FoxBox, ProBox, JL, Kicker, or whatever brand. I just don't want it to sound hollow or puny. It can be a pair of 10's or 12's or whatever.

Where are ya'll finding your equipment and where can I find the *best* pairing of box / sub / amp?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

All comes down to the cash available really.

I'd pick a box, then pick subs that fit in that box (depth and recommended volume), then pick an amp that best powers the subs (RMS watts @ ohms).

Check out woofersetc.com and sonicelectronix.com
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORB8
All comes down to the cash available really.

I'd pick a box, then pick subs that fit in that box (depth and recommended volume), then pick an amp that best powers the subs (RMS watts @ ohms).

Check out woofersetc.com and sonicelectronix.com
So true! Alot of people tend to choose subs first, which puts them in a predicament when the mounting depth of volume doesn't fit the subs specs/truck space.

I am assuming you aren't interested in building your own box? Of course they take more time, but you get "out", what you put in. They usually fit better, sound better, and can be adaptable to fix most subs.

What are your overall goals for the system, and whats the budget?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

My goal is overall sound. I want to feel (when it's up) it hit when the bass hits. I want to feel or hear that overall grumble (clean) when the bass guitar picks up. I don't want ghetto but I don't want puny. I don't want it to sound hollow or wimpy. I don't want to find myself fiddling with a **** at low volumes vs high volumes.

I'm trying to leave budget out of the equation but obviously I don't want to spend $1500 on a box, sub and amp that I can install myself. But I also don't want to find myself saying "it sounds great considering it only cost..." either.

While I'm good at doing the install, I wouldn't be good at building my own box. I could have a shop do that if it's considerably better than a FoxBox or ProBox or something else that's already available. But I don't know anything about cubic space or vents, etc. That's kind of why I came here. I have the stock Sony 700w system and want to beef it up.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sharper4
My goal is overall sound. I want to feel (when it's up) it hit when the bass hits. I want to feel or hear that overall grumble (clean) when the bass guitar picks up. I don't want ghetto but I don't want puny. I don't want it to sound hollow or wimpy. I don't want to find myself fiddling with a **** at low volumes vs high volumes.

I'm trying to leave budget out of the equation but obviously I don't want to spend $1500 on a box, sub and amp that I can install myself. But I also don't want to find myself saying "it sounds great considering it only cost..." either.

While I'm good at doing the install, I wouldn't be good at building my own box. I could have a shop do that if it's considerably better than a FoxBox or ProBox or something else that's already available. But I don't know anything about cubic space or vents, etc. That's kind of why I came here. I have the stock Sony 700w system and want to beef it up.
Well, having the Sony system makes it real easy, you've already got a low level signal and turn on back at the sub. You'll probably want to use a relay to step the signal up to 12V since it may only be 5V.

Check out knukonceptz.com for a quality amp kit at a decent price, I'd recommend skipping the cheaper KCA kits in favor of the all copper Kolossus line.

Fox Acoustics has really good reviews, but you may want to look at other threads on the forum to see if you prefer any of the other manufacturers.

Check out woofersetc and sonicelectronix selection of subs, always remember to google the model number before you buy to make sure you're getting the best deal. Remember, in Car Electronics, you get what you pay for, skip the real cheap stuff.

Quick Reply: Subjective: Which is the *best* sub / amp combo?