Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sub question for experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sub question for experts

I did a google search and picked up a few hits for an air leak blowing subs. Is this possible? I have two type R subs that are two months old and are already useless. I have never pushed these things to their limits by any means. I am extremely frustrated that they are bad. I just wanted to know if the leaky box that I have could have caused them to go out. They still play at a low level nice, but the audio shop said that I do have voice coil problem. At medium levels there is a rattle noise. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM

anyone?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok not trying to be a smart***** but if subs do fine in a ported box how would having a air leak in a sealed box hurt one
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM

That was my thought process, but I've seen several people say that it does cause it. I just wanted to know if someone with actual car audio knowledge knew. I dont know much from a technical standpoint. It just seems weird how fast my subs burned up. My last sub lasted 7 years and still was working when I sold the truck.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could have been any number of problems... The amp could have been adjusted wrong, wires crossed, box too small, etc.

I have 4 kicker cvts and bought them used with a box that only had about 0.63 cubic ft for each sub. They required a minimum of 1 cubic ft. Two of the subs sounded like they were going out. The box had leaks all over it. I made another box but was only able to get about 0.81 cubic ft for each sub. I made sure to seal each seam. I used a kreg jig to make the holes to screw the joints on the top of the box and sides. The bottom I just screwed it straight through. I haven't had any problems with the subs sounding like they are going out anymore.

Last edited by Markanth0ny; 03-20-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Im no audio expert but I've had a couple people try to explain this to me... When porting a box the math and measurement have to be precise in order to get the right sound and air movement through the box... If the air movement is wrong the back pressure against the sub can cause a defect... A leak is like the wrong size port disrupts the air pressure... At least that's how I understood it hopefully and expert can explain it a lil better
Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Try going to DIYMA website. They are the experts when it comes to things like this. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy had some alpines, three i think, all at separate times, installed in a walmart box but they kept blowing. Coulda been the box i guess

But if you think about it, a port allows air to flow freely in and out. A pressure leak could seep air out but not at the same rate the speaker was moving. This could create varying pressures which could wear something out. Mind you this is all a guess...

Quick Reply: Sub question for experts