Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

sub choices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub choices?

What's a good pair of subs on the market right now? Would like any ideas n pics!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanj91
What's a good pair of subs on the market right now? Would like any ideas n pics!
Wow.. that's such a broad question.

Good sub at what price range? Good sub for ported? Good sub for sealed?
Good sub for ____ system? What's a good sub in ____ size?

I personally like Rockford Fosgate P2, but if I had the money, I'm sure I could find something amazingly better.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my setup I have now which is 2 10" Alpine Type R's @ 1 ohm pushing 1200w RMS.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68

Wow.. that's such a broad question.

Good sub at what price range? Good sub for ported? Good sub for sealed?
Good sub for ____ system? What's a good sub in ____ size?

x2, do you plan on putting them under your seat or behind it? are you making a custom box that's going to be a center console? which do you listen to more often rap rock or country? need ALOT more details. I have 2 12" cvr kicker wired @ 1ohm off a 2000watt hifonics Brutus elite amp
Old 05-18-2012, 02:45 AM

I was looking for a pair for under $500, I want them under my seat, I mainly listen to rap so something that got some knock! Idk which is better a ported or sealed box? I was also wanting them to be 12's... detailed enough lol
Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

First, I would look at some boxes to make sure they fit your taste. You can buy these from a few places online and lots of other members build their own. Once you figure that out; look at mounting depths and possible cubic feet. Note: some 12" subs are not compatible with underseat enclosures without sticking out some. I think the newer model supercrews have quite a bit of space under the seats, but I would take some measurements first, just to be sure.

Once you have decided on a box, post a link and then we can match you up with subs to fit that application. Subs vary in cubic space needed and mounting depth, so its really hard to suggest anything without a box or overall goals of the system.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ibd2328
First, I would look at some boxes to make sure they fit your taste. You can buy these from a few places online and lots of other members build their own. Once you figure that out; look at mounting depths and possible cubic feet. Note: some 12" subs are not compatible with underseat enclosures without sticking out some. I think the newer model supercrews have quite a bit of space under the seats, but I would take some measurements first, just to be sure.

Once you have decided on a box, post a link and then we can match you up with subs to fit that application. Subs vary in cubic space needed and mounting depth, so its really hard to suggest anything without a box or overall goals of the system.
+1...ibd2328 is right.. This is the correct steps.. This will help narrow down the subs.. I have a 07 and went with a fox box and two Re Audio full sized 10's.. Perfect for rap and loud as hell... But there are better subs.. What year is your truck??
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks I'll get on the measurements n select a box then I'll post what box I have for help on choosing the subs. I have a 2011 fx2 ecoboost
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM

The box i was looking at is made specially for under the seat of the years 09-12 f150's. Subs fire down 1 1/4" clearance under the box Air Space = .80 cubic foot Per Sub Mounting Depth = 5" (12" sub) Mounting Depth based on 6" diameter magnet Boxdivider and speaker terminals Hole cutout for 12" Sub = 11" Subwoofers
Old 05-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryanj91
I have been installing systems for about 17 years now. Its a hobby of mine. What I have learned is there is a lot of great gear out there that doesnt cost you a ton and will out perform a lot of pricier equipment. JL Audio are good subs, to much money though. There amps are great also. The old precision power art series and pc class are some of the best amps I have ever heard. Anything from PPI past 1998 I think, are garbage, they were bought out and some other company still uses the name but the insides are completely different. You do not need to spend 500 on two subs, thats rediculous. The enclosure is very important also, ported are the best way to go, very efficient and sound great. Sealed boxes are very unefficient and do not sound as well. Bandpass are crap, unless all you want is loud, inaccurate bass. Do you want SQ or SPL? Anybody can throw a bunch of subs together and a crap load of tweeters and be loud, who cares. SQ is where its at. Do you want to hear the music like its intended to be played? Do some research on www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/ these guys know what there doing and know what they are talking about. You will hear of stuff you never have before and its light years of all the names like Kicker, JL, Alpine, etc,etc and most of the time far cheaper. The last subs I had in my truck were two JBL GTO 8in subs in center console, custom built. Absolutley amazing, as long as you build the right enclosure of course. JBL has been making speakers far longer than I have been alive and they make some great stuff. I never thought they were worth a crap until I tried them, awesome subs. The best part, they were 50 bucks each from parts express. You cant beat that. Check out the car stereo forums. Dont buy into the "you need Kickers or Rockfords or JL's etc,etc," from your local shops or places like best buy or crutchfield, yes they are good subs, but you can get far better for way less money. If you need anything else in particular, pm me. I love building systems for people, it just really hard to get people to let go of what they have been told is the best, when its not, at all. I used to be one of those people, not any more.

Quick Reply: sub choices?