Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stubby Antenna Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubby Antenna Swap

Looking to swap the stock antenna mast with a stubby...debating between 8" or 4.2". Any recommended brands? For those whom have done this already, how great of a loss in reception did you experience? Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you live fairly close to the broadcasting towers (ie. 10-20 miles) skip the mod. My signal strength dropped alot and I live 20 miles outside a major metro area. And I even had the 13" model:
Amazon.com: AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna for Ford F150: Automotive Amazon.com: AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna for Ford F150: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
130428 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I live within city limits and broadcast towers are near so I didn't lose any reception with the 13" antenna x posted above. Also there is a weak signal coming in from way down the bayou probably 40 miles or so and it comes in clear as well. Most of the time I'm streaming internet radio thru my phone so it's a moot point for me anyway.

Perhaps that weaker station is piggy backing towers along the way, I dunno.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the responses and info!

As with everything, it's a sacrifice. If I want a certain look, I'll have to sacrifice some functionality.

I still don't understand why, in 2014, Ford still hasn't opted for a more conformal (or even integrated) radio antenna like most makers have done in their cars. The technology has been around for decades...why stay old-school??
Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-stubby/

this is the one i have like everybody has said you will lose some signal depending where you are but i love the look of it so it was worth it for me. plus with my phone having plenty of music on it and pandora radio my regular FM radio barely gets used.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the links. Just like most of you mentioned, I don't listen to radio hardly at all unless my little girl asks. I'll do some research on the ones you all suggested and put in an order. Thanks, again.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I have. I bought the 21" because I was tired of my antenna hitting the beams in the parking garage at work! It works well and haven't lost any reception. Here is the link to the one I bought:

http://www.autoanything.com/chrome-a...motive-antenna
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (09-10-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Thanks with the input, Guys. I went with the CravenSpeed Stubby. As soon as my truck was delivered yesterday, it was the first thing I did. Looks great. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 4.5" stubby antenna and I live around and drive a lot inside the Fort Worth area... I have a Kenwood DN9990HD radio (HD radio capabilities are being used) and I lost a LOT of radio quality. I now use my bluetooth and spotify more than even my XM. I got my stubby for a few reasons.

1. I park in a garage and my OEM antenna scraps my overhead door.

2. My OEM antenna was bent about 2 inches from the top.

3. Occasionally, I work as a spotter truck for lowboys and barely have my radio turned on when doing that.

4. As mentioned above, I am on my CB more than my gas pedal.

5. It was merely a looks thing for me and I paid $10 to a friend for the stubby.

Moral of my story...don't get a stubby unless you plan on never using your AM/FM radio again.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Moral of my story...don't get a stubby unless you plan on never using your AM/FM radio again.

So true. Had one myself and took it off. Just scan the stations with the regular antenna, then try and get them with the stubby and see how many you don't get. The stubby is nothing but hollow plastic. Looks good but bad reception.

Quick Reply: Stubby Antenna Swap