Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Strange issue with JL Cleansweep setup

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Strange issue with JL Cleansweep setup

Hello all,

I am hoping this thread may help me troubleshoot a strange issue with my stereo set up in my 2011 Limited. These are the components I have installed and the link below will take you to my original thread.

CleanSweep
Signal Summing Interface with Load Sensing Adapter
HD900/5: 5 Ch. Class D Amp, 900 W
12TW3-D4: 12" Sub, Dual 4 Ω
C5-570: 2-Way Components in Front Doors
C2-570x: Coaxials in Rear Doors

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/those-...ny-nav-265050/

I have been running this setup for 5 months now without a single issue. Honestly, the sound is clearer and louder than I had expected and I've been very happy. I think an equalizer may be needed in the future for some more fine tuning but that is beside the point.

Lately, I have been experiencing a strange issue. Intermittently, when I start the truck, sound will only be coming through the speakers on the right side. The sound is louder than normal and it is very distorted. The sound is similar to a loose connection on the back of a speaker. As I increase the volume on the OEM headunit, the distortion worsens. As I increase the volume more, the noise and distortion eventually spill over to the left side until finally the sound is perfect again.

In other words, when I start the truck and experience this issue, I can turn the volume up towards the max and make it go away. It sounds terrible while you do it, but it will go away every time be turned up towards max volume. Adjusting the Cleansweep volume does not have an affect on the distortion like the OEM volume does.

Another note...if I experience this issue when I start the truck, I can push the Cleansweep volume **** to change the input (so no sound will be coming through the speakers), turn the OEM volume to max then back down, change the input back and the problem is 100% gone. Every time.

Because of this, I do not think it is a loose connection (although someone tell me if I am wrong). I have pulled my right side door panels to check speaker and tweeter connections and checked every connection at all of the components. I have not pulled my center console yet to check the splices to the factory wiring but I will if I need to.

What in the world is going on here? Does anyone have any advice for me??

Last edited by jsimmons; 01-02-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:55 PM

I have re-calibrated the Cleansweep a time or two but the problem will come back within the next couple times of starting the truck.

A thought comes to mind...the F150 brings the volume back down to around 25% every time you start the truck (instead of the volume staying where it was left at). Would this have any ill effects on the Cleansweep? Any way to eliminate that option so I can keep my factory volume at one setting?

Another note...

This problem happened to me ONCE before about a month ago. Didn't last more than a day and did not come back until last week. Last week, I disconnected the battery to install my leveling kit. Once reconnected, the truck has been experiencing this issue on almost every start up.

Just trying to give all the info I can so someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in. Any input will be helpful.

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

I realize this is a unique issue but I will take any advice. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I realize this is a unique issue but I will take any advice. Thank you!

Just using my own experiences, it sounds like an Amp issue. I run dual Infiniti amps in my boat and I had a similar issue a couple of years back. I'm not an expert but I talked to a couple of techs at the time from a local electronics installer and they said it was to do with the auto on feature? or something like that. Take a look at the amp make sure everything is okay there and that everything is still connected as it should be and nothing is undone. Also, a loose or not quite complete connection going into the amp may also be the problem.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you run new speaker wire or use the factory wiring in your build???
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 PM

I spliced into the factory wiring near the amp, I did not run new wire to the doors.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

JL HD amps have a pretty darn good track record, I'm having a hard time believing it is anything with the amp itself. It seems a little odd that you had the issue pop up a month earlier, then went away! Have you gone thru all your wiring???
Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Tell me about it! I'm boggled. No, I haven't checked EVERYTHING yet...still need to pull the center console. Do you think it could be a loose connection when the problem goes away when the volume is turned close to max?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimmons
Tell me about it! I'm boggled. No, I haven't checked EVERYTHING yet...still need to pull the center console. Do you think it could be a loose connection when the problem goes away when the volume is turned close to max?
My money is on that Load Sensing Adapter or its associated wiring being the source of the issue in some way shape or form.

When you consider what this doodad does at least on paper it sounds related.

The LSA is basically a buffer that sits in between the factory head unit and the clean sweep. As you increase volume on the factory head unit it in turn increases the voltage output feeding the clean sweep which then provides sound output.

By needing to first crank the factory head unit to max you are essentially giving the LSA a proverbial kick in the *** at which point it then starts working again.

It could very well be something as simple as oxidtion or moisture in the connections which is just enough to weaken the signal feeding the LSA which can be a real issue when you again consider what it does.

Just my two cents
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by eekoboost

My money is on that Load Sensing Adapter or its associated wiring being the source of the issue in some way shape or form.

When you consider what this doodad does at least on paper it sounds related.

The LSA is basically a buffer that sits in between the factory head unit and the clean sweep. As you increase volume on the factory head unit it in turn increases the voltage output feeding the clean sweep which then provides sound output.

By needing to first crank the factory head unit to max you are essentially giving the LSA a proverbial kick in the *** at which point it then starts working again.

It could very well be something as simple as oxidtion or moisture in the connections which is just enough to weaken the signal feeding the LSA which can be a real issue when you again consider what it does.

Just my two cents
I bet you are exactly right. The more I've been paying attention to it's pattern, the more sense it makes to be related to that. I will have to tear into it and double check all the connections. Thanks for the response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange issue with JL Cleansweep setup