Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stereo upgrade w/steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stereo upgrade w/steering wheel controls

Hello folks, I am in need of upgrading my base stereo with sync in my 2011 lariat SCREW. I hate sync, it's clunky and frustrating, but I need Bluetooth in NY. Here's what I'm looking for:

An upgraded stereo that can play tunes via Bluetooth, that still uses the factory steering wheel controls. Icing on the cake would be if it had a screen that I could plug a back up camera into. I upgraded my speakers already to some infinity's that a friend recommended.

Recently I lost both front and rear left speakers. They were fuzzy for a while and now no sound comes out of either of them. Installation of door speakers is easy and plug and play so I'm thinking it's the head unit since its both front and rear.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by foster
Hello folks, I am in need of upgrading my base stereo with sync in my 2011 lariat SCREW. I hate sync, it's clunky and frustrating, but I need Bluetooth in NY. Here's what I'm looking for:

An upgraded stereo that can play tunes via Bluetooth, that still uses the factory steering wheel controls. Icing on the cake would be if it had a screen that I could plug a back up camera into. I upgraded my speakers already to some infinity's that a friend recommended.

Recently I lost both front and rear left speakers. They were fuzzy for a while and now no sound comes out of either of them. Installation of door speakers is easy and plug and play so I'm thinking it's the head unit since its both front and rear.

Any help would be appreciated!
Your first thing would be what your budget is.
A nice HU that does what you want can be had for less than $300. You will also need a wiring harness, a new dash kit, a backup camera and a steering wheel control kit. All that will run another $100.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Following thread.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Jensen V7020 Audio/NAV with Metra kit is what I had installed a few months ago. Works perfect with all steering wheel controls maintained and intact.
I know that all the Pioneer and Kenwood fanatics think Jensen is crap, but if you read the reviews on Crutchfield.com and other sites, it is not bad at all. I love the system and it is not expensive at all.

Last edited by Janpijpelink; 08-13-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure about the steering wheel controls part since I don't have them, but I like the hell out of my Clarion NX702. Hooked up a backup cam earlier this year and use Bluetooth audio streaming all the time.

(Edit, spec's say it's steering wheel controls remote ready)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedViktm
Not sure about the steering wheel controls part since I don't have them, but I like the hell out of my Clarion NX702. Hooked up a backup cam earlier this year and use Bluetooth audio streaming all the time.

(Edit, spec's say it's steering wheel controls remote ready)
Axxess or PAC makes a SWC. I like the Axxess because it programs itself.

http://axxessinterfaces.com/
The following users liked this post:
SpeedViktm (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Like Wyo11scab said, there are many Options. The biggest factor is your budget.

I just bought and installed a Kenwood 892 2015 model 7" touchscreen refurbished from Crutchfield, retail 1199.99 for 799.99. I added the oem ford logo backup cam as well, for 259.99 after 30.00 forum discount!

While I love everything this new HU does, Nav, retained Sync, Sirius/XM, Backup Cam, HD Radio, retakned steering wheel controls and so on. The one and only thing I do miss is my rotory volume controll! The touchscreens have a push button volume up/down!

If you do get a new HU, I HIGHLY reccommend Crutchfield.com? Theyre tech support for Life cannot be beat!

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade w/steering wheel controls