Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Static on newly installed speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static on newly installed speakers

I just dumped a bunch of money into a soundsystem that has static in the front and rear speakers. Here is what was installed:

Front Speakers- High Energy Components
Rear Speakers- Energy Coaxial
Amp- Audison SRx5
Sub-JL 6.5

The components were profesionally installed by a reputable local business. I took my 2010 SCrew back to the them and they heard it and said they will take care of it. Three hours later they said they think it is coming from the radio source, not grounding, amp, or speaker issue. Meaning, a problem with my Ford Stereo? They bypassed the radio with an IPOD directly into the amp and the static went away, they said.

So, they said to bring it in again on Thursday to see if their is a solution.
They are not avoiding the problem, just unable to solve at this time.

Other than the rear static when your sitting in the back (front is minimal, they heard it not me) the system sounds great, just need to get rid of the static.

Thanks for any advice on what it might be or how to work with the business I purchased it from. Three year warranty on equipment, and lifetime on labor.

Thanks again for your input
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm assuming they used the speaker level inputs on the Audison, try hooking up your old ford speakers to the leads at the amp coming from the head unit and see if the noise is apparent at that point.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
I'm assuming they used the speaker level inputs on the Audison, try hooking up your old ford speakers to the leads at the amp coming from the head unit and see if the noise is apparent at that point.
Thanks for the suggestion. They said they were going to try a new amp as well. But I will take my old speakers and have them do what you recommended as well.

I'm hoping it is not the source/radio, because it sounds like it is going to be a big hassle if it is.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM

I doubt it, it worked correctly when you brought it in right?

It could be as simple as a nick or bad connection/splice in one of the speaker wires they ran from the head to the amp.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM

I doubt it, it worked correctly when you brought it in right?

It could be as simple as a nick or bad connection/splice in one of the speaker wires they ran from the head to the amp.
What the audio store is telling me, is that possibly the source is sending out a bad signal that could not be heard through the original factory amp and speakers. They say the new amp is amplifying the existing static to a greater extent than before (bigger amp, greater amplification of signal.) They said their not positive this is it, but is one of the items they are considering.

I will let you know the outcome. Meanwhile keep the ideas coming.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Sounds like he's grasping at straws. The amplifier should be "hearing" the exact same signal you were in the truck.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Sounds like he's grasping at straws. The amplifier should be "hearing" the exact same signal you were in the truck.
Yeah, they seem as frustrated as I am, but so far they are pursuing the issue and have promised a remedy. I just hope it's one that we both agree on and does not cost me another dime, because I'm not paying.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM

I'm kind of leaning toward a speaker wire issue between the head unit and the amp. They could pull the head unit and use new speaker wire to jump from the back of the head unit to the amp and see if it solves it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Ok, I replaced my head unit with a Eclipse AVN726E (NAV,DVD,CD,Bluetooth,etc,etc.)

No more static and the sound quality through my new amp and speakers is incredible. I did not want to spend the money but I am glad I did. Huge difference between the stock Ford Head Unit and the Eclipse.

My wife was not happy with the money spent, but even she said the sound quality was excellent

Also, the screen image is great. The installers/shop did a great job.

So, in summary I guess the static pushed me to a new head unit, which greatly improved sound quality and that is what I was after.

As a side note the stereo shop confirmed it was the Ford Head Unit causing the static, and they were not trying to push a new stereo on me.

I thought I'd give you the final outcome. I really apreciate the feedback as I tried to decipher the earlier static issue.

thanks again,

Waterman
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 PM

i hope you didnt buy that eclipse from them. or if you did they better have discounted it. any new tv amp and speaker set will sound incredible. i bet the amp and speakers would have sounded great if those dumies would have pulled their heads out of thier.

it sounds like they may have had pos/neg issues or they were using a crappy coverter

but im sure youl be a happy guy with all your new stuff!

Quick Reply: Static on newly installed speakers