Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Spring break stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Spring break stereo install

I have a 2012 F150 XL regular cab that I picked up used in February of this year. I decided to upgrade the stock stereo with the addition of new speakers, amplifier and a subwoofer. Here is a list of the items in my system.

Head Unit: Ford AM/FM Single CD
Interface: PAC AOEM-FRD24
Amplifier: Jensen Power 5500 5-Channel Amplifier
Front Speakers: Infinity Reference 6830cs Component Speakers
Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa 682.9cf Coaxial Speakers
Subwoofer: Kicker 40TCWS102 10" Subwoofer w/Enclosure

I did not use any of the factory speaker wires. I ran new twisted pair wire to all crossovers and speakers. Lucky for me my doors had the rubber boots to run the speaker wires through. I found that removing the door panels along with the A-pillar covers was a piece of cake. Removing the rear side covers to replace the rear speakers was also very easy. I mounted the amplifier onto a piece of plywood and then attached that along with the subwoofer to the back of the cab. I will have to say that when I turn up the volume now, I can now listen to my music loud and clear. I ended up splitting the front speaker RCA's to also go to the subwoofer input RCA's on the amplifier because the rear RCA's had no subwoofer frequencys. Here are some pics of my amp & sub.
Attached Thumbnails Spring break stereo install-p1011780.jpg   Spring break stereo install-p1011786.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You did a nice job
Old 03-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious, did the tweeters fit in clean, or did you have to modify the pillars?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Daimyo68,
The A-Pillar tweeters fit good using one of the plastic pieces that came with the speakers. It looked like a shallow cup that had openings on the bottom. I first inserted the tweeter wires down through one of the openings. Then line up the two bumps on the sides of the tweeter with the notches on the inside sides of the cup piece. Push the tweeter into the bottom of the cup and then rotate it to lock it into the cup. I then cut some plastic strips and punched two holes in each to line up with the original tweeters mounting holes on the back (inside) of the A-Pillar. I used the factory tweeter mounting screws along with the plastic strips to hold the new assembly in place. No modification was needed on the A-Pillars. Here is a picture of the passenger side tweeter.
Attached Thumbnails Spring break stereo install-p1011797.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spring break stereo install