Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Speaker Upgrade & Install w/ Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade & Install w/ Pictures

I've had a busy day, my new speakers arrived from Crutchfield so I spent the afternoon installing them in my 2011 STX Supercab.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R168...8X2.html?tp=93

Rockford Fosgate R168X2

I was torn between these and the Pioneer TS-G6845R. I wanted something that sounded better than stock and hit hard, but not hard enough that it would require the speakers to be hardwired to an amp for optimum performance. Ultimately I decided to save a few dollars.

New speakers vs. Old speakers

If you order from Crutchfield they throw in the wiring harness's you need for free, along with PDF install instructions. Their instructions are a bit vague and I did a work around on a couple of them.

I did this job with a few basic tools:

Basic small Stanley socket set, small flat head screwdriver and a paint can opener (I'll explain this later.)

I started with the drivers side front door. The Crutchfield instructions show where the bolts are. There is a bolt behind the door handle that has a plastic cover over it which is a pain to remove, I hooked the plastic piece with the paint can opener and after a couple of tugs it popped out.

From there I lifted the door up and pulled out. I'm not very tall so I rested the door panel on the box and unplugged the 4 wiring harness's. I couldn't figure out how to remove the cable wire from the door handle, in the photo below it's still connected, but there was plenty of room to work with it rested on the box.

Drivers side panel resting on top of a box I had lying around.

The supplied wiring harness has 2 female connectors on it, one small and one large; positive and negative. I matched up the female sizes to the male connecting points on the speaker; one small and one large. I had to use a bit more force than I was anticipating, but they do fully push down.

Wiring harness installed on speaker.

After that, it's a mere plug n' play speaker. I didn't need any of the extra wire or screws that were supplied with the new speakers.

The backdoor was a bit more difficult because the seat belt is attached to that door. I removed the top cover over the belt, but didn't remove the seat belt; just wiggled the plastic piece sideways so I could access the bolt below.

Supercab back panel removed w/ handle still connected; it doesn't need to be removed.

I made the mistake of removing the wiring harness for the window and it was a major pain to get it reinstalled; don't do it. I had to pry up the window button on the panel to make clearance to reinstall the wiring harness and it just wasn't worth the extra work. On the passenger side back door I left it connected and just set the panel on top of the box and had plenty of room to work.

I made a short video of them:

Like my hard wire dash cam install post, let me know if this was helpful or if you have any questions. OR let me know if this was useless garbage.

The following 5 users liked this post by FerdinandF150:
MudnRox (01-29-2017), NetRngr (03-01-2017), rntonp (04-06-2016), SS308 (05-08-2016), Zach7 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are both the front and rear speaker sizes 6x8?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by injctd
Are both the front and rear speaker sizes 6x8?
Yes. If you use someplace like www.crutchfield.com they will tell you what size speakers fit, but in my 2011 both are 6x8.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Thanks.

This is what Crutchfield says about the rear door speakers:

Behind Seat

We’re sorry, but we currently have no pictures available for this speaker location.
It only recommends the 6x8's for the front door locations. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Which F150 do you have?

Last edited by FerdinandF150; 03-07-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by miihere
I've had a busy day, my new speakers arrived from Crutchfield so I spent the afternoon installing them in my 2011 STX Supercab.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R168...8X2.html?tp=93

Rockford Fosgate R168X2

I was torn between these and the Pioneer TS-G6845R. I wanted something that sounded better than stock and hit hard, but not hard enough that it would require the speakers to be hardwired to an amp for optimum performance. Ultimately I decided to save a few dollars.

New speakers vs. Old speakers

If you order from Crutchfield they throw in the wiring harness's you need for free, along with PDF install instructions. Their instructions are a bit vague and I did a work around on a couple of them.

I did this job with a few basic tools:

Basic small Stanley socket set, small flat head screwdriver and a paint can opener (I'll explain this later.)

I started with the drivers side front door. The Crutchfield instructions show where the bolts are. There is a bolt behind the door handle that has a plastic cover over it which is a pain to remove, I hooked the plastic piece with the paint can opener and after a couple of tugs it popped out.

From there I lifted the door up and pulled out. I'm not very tall so I rested the door panel on the box and unplugged the 4 wiring harness's. I couldn't figure out how to remove the cable wire from the door handle, in the photo below it's still connected, but there was plenty of room to work with it rested on the box.

Drivers side panel resting on top of a box I had lying around.

The supplied wiring harness has 2 female connectors on it, one small and one large; positive and negative. I matched up the female sizes to the male connecting points on the speaker; one small and one large. I had to use a bit more force than I was anticipating, but they do fully push down.

Wiring harness installed on speaker.

After that, it's a mere plug n' play speaker. I didn't need any of the extra wire or screws that were supplied with the new speakers.

The backdoor was a bit more difficult because the seat belt is attached to that door. I removed the top cover over the belt, but didn't remove the seat belt; just wiggled the plastic piece sideways so I could access the bolt below.

Supercab back panel removed w/ handle still connected; it doesn't need to be removed.

I made the mistake of removing the wiring harness for the window and it was a major pain to get it reinstalled; don't do it. I had to pry up the window button on the panel to make clearance to reinstall the wiring harness and it just wasn't worth the extra work. On the passenger side back door I left it connected and just set the panel on top of the box and had plenty of room to work.

I made a short video of them:

Rockford Fosgate R168X2 - YouTube

Like my hard wire dash cam install post, let me know if this was helpful or if you have any questions. OR let me know if this was useless garbage.

Nice write up, thanks. I'm in Canada . I couldn't believe the price difference at Crutchfield.ca
http://www.crutchfield.ca/Rockford_F.../575r168x2.htm
Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM

Oh jeez, I wouldn't pay $100 US for them, but my $80 US for all 4 was well spent. Might be a website error, I don't know why they wouldn't be on sale for Canada as well...
Old 03-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh jeez, I wouldn't pay $100 US for them, but my $80 US for all 4 was well spent. Might be a website error, I don't know why they wouldn't be on sale for Canada as well...
This the response when I asked:

Hello – Thanks for your message. Crutchfield USA and Crutchfield Canada are two separate, distinct business operations and as such have their respective set of vendor agreements which results in different pricing. If you have friends or relatives living in the US and whose name, address, and phone number appear in the telephone directory we will be happy to ship your www.crutchfield.com<http://www.crutchfield.com/> order to them. Alternatively, you can open an account with a US-based freight forwarder or drop-off location that can deliver your order to your door. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you have further questions. Best Regards, Rick N. Crutchfield Corporation

TRANSLATED: they don't care
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jack-Daniel
TRANSLATED: they don't care
I'd have to disagree. They gave you a couple different options and their explanation as to why things are different prices makes sense now. Shop around, see what's out there. These are good speakers, but I wouldn't say they are GREAT speakers, just better than stock.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Which F150 do you have?
2012 F150 SuperCab. The speaker grills in the door panel don't look like they'd allow a 6x8 behind them.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade & Install w/ Pictures