Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Speaker Poll: Polk or Pioneer (exact models listed inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Speaker Poll: Polk or Pioneer (exact models listed inside)

I have read many, many threads on people replacing their speakers so I also know about the other brands, but this is what I narrowed my search down to based on cost and how other say they sound. The specific models are Polk db571 or the Pioneer TSD6802R. The Polks, seem to be a very popular choice, they are slightly cheaper than the Pioneer's (about $10/pr) and they are marine rated. The pioneer seem to be slightly higher quality, and have a good sound to them, but they are not as popular so I could find as much user experience.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by biscuit141
I have read many, many threads on people replacing their speakers so I also know about the other brands, but this is what I narrowed my search down to based on cost and how other say they sound. The specific models are Polk db571 or the Pioneer TSD6802R. The Polks, seem to be a very popular choice, they are slightly cheaper than the Pioneer's (about $10/pr) and they are marine rated. The pioneer seem to be slightly higher quality, and have a good sound to them, but they are not as popular so I could find as much user experience.
I would go POLK
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Have the Polk in my doors and wouldn't hesitate to go with them again. Plan on putting a pair in my boat if I ever tie up some of my other projects.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 PM
TK5

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would try them both, keep the ones that sound better to your ear & send back the other pair.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know why but I am leaning toward the Pioneer D Series speakers, however I would really like to consider doing a component set in the front, the Pioneer TS-D1720C, however I will only have this truck a couple more years and I would really hate to drill a hole in the door for a tweeter. Since I remove all my upgraded stereo stuff before I sell my cars I would take out the speakers leaving a hole there. So now my question is can I make a 6x8 bracket that will allow me to fit the 6.5" and the tweeter in the speaker hole left from the 6x8?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know why but I am leaning toward the Pioneer D Series speakers, however I would really like to consider doing a component set in the front, the Pioneer TS-D1720C, however I will only have this truck a couple more years and I would really hate to drill a hole in the door for a tweeter. Since I remove all my upgraded stereo stuff before I sell my cars I would take out the speakers leaving a hole there. So now my question is can I make a 6x8 bracket that will allow me to fit the 6.5" and the tweeter in the speaker hole left from the 6x8?
That's what I did for my rear speakers. The fronts I drilled the holes because the sound stage is better with the tweeters near your ears. I made a custom brackets with 6 mil black PVC. There was plenty of room to attach the tweeter next to the 6.5". It sounds real good also.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Poll: Polk or Pioneer (exact models listed inside)-image-1118487311.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I've got the Polks, up front & in the back. They can get loud without getting distorted or anything. Had 'em close to a year with no problems
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

The pioneers have a much better frequency range. I had a set of the Pioneer TS-D1702R which is the same type but in the 6 3/4" style Mounted in a '91 Tracer LTS in the rear shelf. Plus a set of TS-A1685R in the front door. The part numbers are a little different today than they were eight years ago when I had the Tracer, but the same basic speakers. I could crank them up with very good sound quality, hardly no distortion and were very clear. I don't think I ever clipped them. Of course they were only running off of a 200watt Pioneer head unit. It had an equalizer built in and I could adjust the ranges and Q-factor to my taste. The pioneers you are looking at have an advertised range of 30-32000HZ, while the Polk's are 52-22,000HZ. The Polk's do have a better sensitivity of 90db as apposed to 88db for the Pioneers. But that's only if you cranked them up to the point of clipping. I just bought a '02 Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm thinking about those very Pioneers for her.

Last edited by Scarlet; 02-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Speaker Poll: Polk or Pioneer (exact models listed inside)