Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Speaker level inputs on amps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker level inputs on amps?

Hi,

I have a 2010 supercrew. I want to retain the factory head unit, but upgrade speakers in the doors. Not looking for anything extreme - just something better than stock. I've installed a couple of pair of Pioneer TS-A6872R 3-way 6x8's and they definitely sound better (be sure to use the zip ties they give you for the cables, else you'll think they're blown - lesson learned) - but I'm thinking of adding an small 4 channel amp to improve things.

Is there any reason not to get an amp with speaker level inputs and use those as opposed to adding LOC's at the head unit? Seems like you're going to have to run new wire to each speaker anyway, so may as well just run 2 pairs. I've also noticed some amps auto-sense the speaker level inputs in order to turn the amp on, so you'd eliminate the need to run a remote wire as well.

Is there going to be a significant difference in sound or install difficulty using speaker level inputs on an amp vs. adding LOCs at the head unit?

Thanks,

KP
Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to use a 3sixty.1 to do the line output conversion, as well as sum the signals and provide an equalizer. Though, the amp i did order does have speaker level inputs, the stock headunit may actually change the balance of the different frequencies as the volume changes, they do this to protect the stock speakers from being blown.

However, if you are trying to save as much as possible, yes, you can definitely use the speaker levels on the amps...

Quick Reply: Speaker level inputs on amps?