Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Speaker installation for dummies.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speaker installation for dummies.

I am looking at the sticky at the top and it's overwhelming. I am using the factory head unit on my 2011 f150. I was going to upgrade the HU to, but all the stuff that goes along with it, just isn't worth it.

So, as the thread title states, I don't quite understand. I know I have to get an adaptor to convert the speaker wire to a single the amp can use.

That's where I get lost. So...I put this adaptor in line with one of the rear speaker wires. Then I run the same speaker wire to the amp, then re-run all new speaker wires to the doors if I want to amplify them? Can I use the same wire? Can I just tap existing wire?

Also, do I have to power the amp straight from the battery? Or just use nearby available power?

1,000 watt amp
10" enclosed woofer (slim line)
4 6x8 kenwood 3 way door speakers.

Also, how hard is it to replace the door speakers? Does the whole panel come off? Or just a speaker cover? my speaker box fits under my seat "sort of" it stick out about 3-4 inches. I don't know if I need to move the jack stand holder out the way, or if it's the back of the truck stoping it (it has a lip about 1/2" to 1"). Could I still force it under there? Or do I need to lift my seats?

Here is the stupidest question of all. Does the woofer face up or down? Pretty sure up, but want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for any input. I can't seem to find the little bits of info I need to do this. So please excuse my ignorance.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreaux
I am looking at the sticky at the top and it's overwhelming. I am using the factory head unit on my 2011 f150. I was going to upgrade the HU to, but all the stuff that goes along with it, just isn't worth it.

So, as the thread title states, I don't quite understand. I know I have to get an adaptor to convert the speaker wire to a single the amp can use.

That's where I get lost. So...I put this adaptor in line with one of the rear speaker wires. Then I run the same speaker wire to the amp, then re-run all new speaker wires to the doors if I want to amplify them? Can I use the same wire? Can I just tap existing wire?

If you buy this adapter http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
It will convert your signal to RCA cables to supply your amp with signal. It will allow your stock stereo to power the door speakers. It installs behind the factory stereo. If you want to amplify the door speakers you will need to add an amp and run new speaker wire into the doors OR cut the stock speaker wires and splice the new speaker wires into the stock wires

Also, do I have to power the amp straight from the battery? Or just use nearby available power?

The amplifier needs to be powered directly from the battery. For a 1000w amp I would run 4ga wire
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK4

1,000 watt amp
10" enclosed woofer (slim line)
4 6x8 kenwood 3 way door speakers.

Also, how hard is it to replace the door speakers? Does the whole panel come off? Or just a speaker cover? my speaker box fits under my seat "sort of" it stick out about 3-4 inches. I don't know if I need to move the jack stand holder out the way, or if it's the back of the truck stoping it (it has a lip about 1/2" to 1"). Could I still force it under there? Or do I need to lift my seats?

Is the box made for your truck? maybe post pics of the box. You will need to pull the door panels to replace the speakers. I havent had mine off yet but it shouldnt be too hard

Here is the stupidest question of all. Does the woofer face up or down? Pretty sure up, but want to make sure.

Depends on the box. some are made to fire down, some up

Thanks in advance for any input. I can't seem to find the little bits of info I need to do this. So please excuse my ignorance.
Responses are in bold and italics. Also check out www.bcae1.com for LOTS of info about car stereo installation

Last edited by king nothing; 01-09-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Before I read all this, just want to say THANKS!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM

no worries. feel free to post or PM me with any questions.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM

The woofer is a 10" kicker slim line with a port. There is literally NO information. None. I can't even find a model number. It's 600 watts peak, has connectors on the speaker enclosure, and cost $150. Seriously, that's it.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM

I'm guessing I run the power wire under the strip on the floorboard by the door. Run it behind the glove compartment? I saw a video where they had a big grommet they put all the wires through from the engine compartment to the cab.

Also that adaptor looks like a big harness, this can connect to my speaker wire inside my door?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 AM
TK5

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the brand and model number of your amp?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM

Don't know. My nephew is giving me his. I know kicker makes some that can to the conversion signal output automatically.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The door panels have to come off to replace the speakers but it's not difficult. The hardest part is getting the plastic cover behind the inside door handle off. There are threads on here about how to remove the door panels.

The sub box will dictate if the sub fires up or down. If the speaker mounting surface is flush with the edge of the box then it fires up. Otherwise your speaker will be sitting face down on the carpet.

You will need to run power from the battery for your amp. There should be a grommet high up on the firewall on the passenger side to run your power cable. Don't forget to fuse the power close to the battery.

If you have more questions post back up. Lots of people here to help you out

Post pics when you're done!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaux
I'm guessing I run the power wire under the strip on the floorboard by the door. Run it behind the glove compartment? I saw a video where they had a big grommet they put all the wires through from the engine compartment to the cab.

Also that adaptor looks like a big harness, this can connect to my speaker wire inside my door?
Yrp. Power wire through a grommet and under the sill plates. The adaptor I posted goes behind the stereo in the dash. Its all plug and play. No tapping, cutting, or splicing wires. It gives you front and rear RCA outputs as well as a remote turn on lead. There are other ways to do it but I prefer not to cut or tap factory wiring

Quick Reply: Speaker installation for dummies.