Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound system upgrade questions/recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sound system upgrade questions/recommendations

I have a 2012 screw. Sync, no nav. I'm planning on a couple shallow mount subs under the rear seat. I'm not %100 sure what I'm going to use. I've got my eye on a pair of Dayton shallow 10s. I know some speakers work better in certain vehicles due to interior designs, etc.

To anyone that has been down this road, or anyone for that matter, what speakers (subs, mids, and highs) has your experience turned you onto or away from?

Also, does the stock hu have what it takes to play a quality role in an upgraded sound system?

Last edited by Volfanatic74; 02-01-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 AM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

For speakers, it depends on how much you're wanting to spend. The more the better (to a point obviously).

Morel is my favorite brand of speakers with Scanspeak probably tied in there. Scanspeak is primarily a home audio driver manufacturer but man are they good. You could easily spend $1000 on Scanspeak drivers and it would be worth it but who's got that kind of money to spend? For $410 you can get their "entry level" kit meant for car audio. It'll outperform other component sets of speakers costing much more, even twice more.

You can check out Morel on Crutchfield. Pretty much anything from them is going to be excellent. They're one of the few speaker brands that are universally loved. They're also one of the few that make their own drivers.

Ideally for best sound quality, I'd recommend ditching the rear speakers. They do more harm than good and while you can dial in some proper rear fill, you'll need a processor with time alignment to do it properly. More trouble than its worth really.

The stock head unit is fine for a source but you'll want some better amplification. That's gonna get complicated more than likely if it's anything like my beloved 2016. I'm not familiar with the type of head unit the 2012 has so I can't really tell ya more. It's likely you'd need a line output converter that converts speaker level inputs to RCA's so you can feed into an amp. Some amps have speaker level inputs and that can work too.

The sky's really the limit with what you can do. It all depends on what you're wanting and what your budget is. You can go from entry level, drop in replacements to just upgrade your tunes or you can go full out sound quality competition level. I actually compete in MECA sound quality competitions so I'm pretty much a car audio snob so I'm always gonna push the expensive route.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Decided to go aftermarket on hu. The option of getting a processor to reconstruct the incomplete signal produced by most hus was something I wanted to avoid. The price of a processor capable of reconstructing and putting out a quality signal wasn't much price difference compared to a quality aftermarket hu thus eliminating signal issues altogether. I got the harnesses to avoid butchering the factory wiring also. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm a really big Dayton Audio fan. Having said that, I wanted to suggest a possible alternative sub setup. Below is a link to what I ended up using in my 2015 screw. It fits perfectly under the back seat. It's 2 JL Audio 8W3v3 subs in a slot ported enclosure. I'm usually not a fan of ported enclosures in my various vehicle sound systems. I actually had a single JL audio 12W3 installed first in a sealed enclosure, but I wasn't happy with it at all. These 2 8" subs sound amazing! SQ is much better than I expected, and they can get pretty low as well if needed. It is a bit on the pricey side, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-SeZLW8...08LG-W3v3.html