Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound System install 2011 FX4 with Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Sound System install 2011 FX4 with Video

Ok guys I worked on installing my components for a bit on Friday night, and then pretty much all day saturday. I got a lot done...

My component list:

Metra BT-5520 harness, modified to give me speaker outputs from stock headunit.
JL Audio XD700/5 Amp
Audiocontrol LC6i
Polk Audio db5251 component speakers (front)
Polk Audio db571 coaxial speakers (rear)
Polk Audio mm1040 10" sub
All new Monster XLN speaker wire run to doors
Monster 4awg power wire
Stock headunit
Custom made amp rack made out of MDF board
Custom made front speaker adapters made out of MDF board

I made a video of my progress, here is part one. I will make part two and upload it when I get my JL audio cleansweep, it was delayed by UPS.

Enjoy. Oh and btw, please click the ads in the videos. I would appreciate it. I get paid (not a lot) from Youtube now from having so many views, if you guys click the ads, i get paid, and then i get more money to do more mods, to make more videos! So help me help you! lol

***thanks for clicking the ads guys! keep clicking!...so far ive racked up 20 bucks lol***

part 1

part 2

Last edited by blackknight87; 07-27-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Good job This will be an awesome post to refer folks to. It’s like re watching my JL XD600.6 install on the 10 FX4.
However, I’m extremely jealous of the garage space.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Driver

Yea, theres only a few videos on the 09-11 trucks. so i figured i would add one.

and yea, living at home has its benefits. 4 car garage, and lots of room!

Last edited by blackknight87; 05-29-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to your finished work. Like the tweeter placement also. I have the jl 700/5, great amp.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Driver

Originally Posted by Therius
Looking forward to your finished work. Like the tweeter placement also. I have the jl 700/5, great amp.
can i ask what type speakers you are using? im curious to what I should set my frequency at.

Did a little more work today, but still waiting on my cleansweep so im at a standstill.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks so much for this video man! I might have sone questions for you when I start my install. I have db6501 and db571.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your fronts have crossovers so set your amp to full range let the crossovers do there job. The rear speakers you want to block low signals you want 200hz and above to your rears and fronts... If you have no option.. Subs you want to HPF (high pass filter) block everything over 80hz to your sub... As far as adjustments set your output on the amp to half way then adjust from there. Set all settings on HU to halfway.. I did not see RCA's in the video run those on the driver side to avoid noise from the power cable... One thing I like to do makes it look more factory (safety) is to cover the main power cable from the battery to the firewall with black wireloom (or something to cover it)... If your going to use hi inputs from the HU then also run those on the driverside to avoid noise... Your ground I would pick a spot you get a good solid ground and wire brush any paint away to get a good ground... Looks great and video looks great too.... thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Driver

Originally Posted by 2010FX4F150GILROY
Your fronts have crossovers so set your amp to full range let the crossovers do there job. The rear speakers you want to block low signals you want 200hz and above to your rears and fronts... If you have no option.. Subs you want to HPF (high pass filter) block everything over 80hz to your sub... As far as adjustments set your output on the amp to half way then adjust from there. Set all settings on HU to halfway.. I did not see RCA's in the video run those on the driver side to avoid noise from the power cable... One thing I like to do makes it look more factory (safety) is to cover the main power cable from the battery to the firewall with black wireloom (or something to cover it)... If your going to use hi inputs from the HU then also run those on the driverside to avoid noise... Your ground I would pick a spot you get a good solid ground and wire brush any paint away to get a good ground... Looks great and video looks great too.... thanks

I still have yet to install my jl audio clean sweep which will be mounted on my back wall. Those 4 channels of cable running on the drivers side, will go to the clean sweep then the clean sweep will have RCA out to the amp.

I did some work today and use the middle seat bolt to ground my amp, its down on bare metal. So it should be good.

I also will probably add black wire loom as well to the power cable in the engine compartment.

I should have another video up , tomorrow, or maybe wednesday after I get the rest of my components.

as far as the frequency cutoffs go, Im just gonna start at around 80 for everything and tweak it will i find what i like.

Thanks for the compliments guys. good to know I am helping some people out.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Driver

Well I was just out taking a drive. an obviously I dont have any sound yet, but I noticed my radio said "antenna fault" made me wonder? So when i got home i popped open the radio again (pain in the ***) and noticed i forgot to plug in my sat radio antenna.

Plugged it back in, buttoned everything back up....and still have the "antenna fault" message. wtf any ideas?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am guessing the stock head unit? Disconnect battery in engine compatment, re-check connections behind HU, unplug then re-plug them in. Then re-connect the trucks battery.. Should be ok then it has to re-initialize for the antenna... Let me know if this helps.... Just try to keep everything below 200hz from going to the rear speakers... Keep everything above 80hz from going to sub-woofer.....

Last edited by 2010FX4F150GILROY; 05-30-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Sound System install 2011 FX4 with Video