Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System

I have a 2009 F150 STX Extended Cab and would like to know if the factory head unit is capable of having an Amp hooked up to it. I am looking to upgrade the sound system and havent decided on a head unit yet but have an amp and subwoofer in mind as well as replacing the front and rear door speakers. So I was wondering if I can replace/install all this with the factory head unit until I can make a decision on which one I want. Any suggestions on speakers/head units would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the help and suggestions
Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Simple answer is yes, depending on the amp you may have to incorporate what is called a line output converter.

What kind of budget and sound goals?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Mike

Gator88, budget is around $500 to get me an amp and subwoofer set up and possibly replace the front and rear door speakers. How does the line out convertor connect to the already factory installed radio. Also is it hard removing the door panels to put in new speakers in the front and rear? Also do you have any recommendations? I can get a subbox and 2 10inch Kicker subwoofers off ebay for $249 shipped that is specifically made to go under the back seats.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 AM

There are two different ways to get an audio signal to your amp in car audio. Low level or RCA signals are normally output from a aftermarket head unit (similiar to your home theater) these signals have not been amplified to a level high enough to drive speakers well. Your factory head outputs amplified speaker level signals (also called high level). Some amplifiers can input both types of signals and some can only input RCA level signals. A line output converter simply changes the signal from speaker level to RCA level.
Door panels are normaly fairly easy to remove, I have an 06 but you can ask compcoder how to remove the new body style doors.
I need to know what your trying to do to make your system sound like to make good recommendations on equipment. I favor sound quality (exact music reproduction), a lot of guys are looking for spl (big bass).
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Mike

Gator88, I am looking more for sound quality with a little splash (big bass) if that helps
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM

After a lot of research, I finally nailed down my setup this week and it's close to your budget. Here's the thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2006-s...install-49868/

There are a whole bunch of options, don't get ruled by brand names. Before buying an item, do a search on the diyma.com and realmofexcursion.com forums and see if there is a review.

I personally hate what has come to be know as rear fill (rear full range speakers) like the majority of the sound quality community. The goal of a SQ system is to faithfully reproduce a concert experience, and therefore you want the soundstage to be in front of you and as close to eye level as you can get it. Rear speakers just pull the soundstage closer/behind you. Look for a well reviewed set of 6.5" components (woofer, tweeter, and crossover combo) for the front doors and amp them, if you want rear fill after you listen, then just use your stock rear speakers using deck power.

This gives you a couple options for an amplifier. You can get a four channel and run your components with the front two channels and bridge the rear channels to run a sub(s), or run a two channel amp for the components, and get a Class D Monoblock amp for the sub(s).

I'm sure you'll have a bunch of questions during your build, don't hesitate to ask questions.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for info on removing the door panels, i have it in my install thread here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/finish...install-48496/

I, like Gator, am also doing more of a SQ install over SPL, hence me only going with one sub. However, i chose against component speakers because i didn't want to have to find a place to install the seperate tweeters, since my year model doesn't come with a spot already made for them like the older model doors do. I did choose some speakers that are known for good reproduction, and amped them up a little. I also installed front and rear speakers, as I have a supercrew, and a lot of people ride, but i turn the level of output down on my rear speakers using my 3sixty, so i don't really hear them over my fronts, though it does make some fill from the rear and makes sure the whole cab is filled with sound. Its really just personal preference here, and since i don't really have one as this is my first truck, i just went with new all around,a nd all ar amped. Currently working on my sub box design to go under my rear seat.

Quick Reply: Sound System