Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound Q Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Sound Q Advice....

Ok, after being out of the sound q competition scene for a while I've decided I really miss the sound stage and imaging of my last competition vehicle. I've decided it's time to go back to kicks. Right now I'm running Focal 6 1/2 seperates in the front doors and Focal 6 1/2 coax's in the rear. Both sets are being powered by a single JL Audio Slash 300/4. I'm debating on whether to move the seperates to the kicks or go with a 3 way set up front. Meaning run a 4" mid range and 3/4" tweet in the kicks and a 6 1/2 mid woofer in the door. If I do this, I was thinking about eliminating the rear speakers and running the kicks off the front channel and the mid woofers off the rear channel. If I go this route, I was also going to install an Audio Control 6XS crossover and maybe an EQS eq. Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

I like the idea of putting the mid and tweeter in the kicks and the midbass in the door. Skip the audiocontrol units and pick up a JBL MS8. Use your JL amp to power the midbasses and midrange. The MS8 has a small amp built in that will be plenty to power the tweeters. I would look at a 3 inch midrange for ease of installation. Ditch the rear speakers altogether.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Well after doing some research on this ms8, I must say that it is a really impressive piece. And being that it's been on the market awhile, you I can pick 1 up for about 450. Not bad at all considering what this thing can do....Now back to the kicks, as far as going with a smaller mid for easier install, that's not a bad idea but I've installed 6 1/2 seperates before in kicks in previous vehicles. Thanks for the input on that jbl piece.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Beast
Well after doing some research on this ms8, I must say that it is a really impressive piece. And being that it's been on the market awhile, you I can pick 1 up for about 450. Not bad at all considering what this thing can do....Now back to the kicks, as far as going with a smaller mid for easier install, that's not a bad idea but I've installed 6 1/2 seperates before in kicks in previous vehicles. Thanks for the input on that jbl piece.
Im assuming your truck is an 06? Im not sure what your kicks look like but I cant imagine being able to install anything in my '13 kicks. Of course I need all the footroom I can get for my size 13s lol
Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
Im assuming your truck is an 06? Im not sure what your kicks look like but I cant imagine being able to install anything in my '13 kicks. Of course I need all the footroom I can get for my size 13s lol
Hard to put anything in the kicks now without pods
Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Hard to put anything in the kicks now without pods
It will definitely be some sort of pod. Probably something like I did in my previous competition vehicle.

Quick Reply: Sound Q Advice....