Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sony speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sony speaker upgrade

I k ow this subject has been eat to death 4 times over but to save me from searching endless threads what's the majority opinion for the best aftermarket speakers to update to with factory radio/nav? I'm not real sure if these speakers are amp but if not I would be willing to put a amp on the new speakers....any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by sw4bama
I k ow this subject has been eat to death 4 times over but to save me from searching endless threads what's the majority opinion for the best aftermarket speakers to update to with factory radio/nav? I'm not real sure if these speakers are amp but if not I would be willing to put a amp on the new speakers....any help would be greatly appreciated.
What year truck and you have the Sony system??
Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not the OP but I have the same question
'11 FX4 with Premium 6 CD stereo - I assume it is the Sony though I don't see the logo anywhere. Don't want to spend a fortune but would like better sound.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
I'm not the OP but I have the same question
'11 FX4 with Premium 6 CD stereo - I assume it is the Sony though I don't see the logo anywhere. Don't want to spend a fortune but would like better sound.
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you want to just upgrade the door speakers you could get away with spending not much more than $100. If you want a full upgrade (new speakers, amp and sub) then youre looking at a big jump in the budget.

What I done was upgraded the door speakers (Kicker KS 6x8 for the rear & Pioneer TS 6x8 for the front), and upgraded the factory sub. I have an amp from my previous vehicle so all I had to buy was a sub (shallow enough to fit the box that I built), wiring kit and a LOC.

If you dont want to upgrade the sub I would recommend the door speakers I listed. I did my research on them and they are very good speakers for the price. I got them on eBay for $115 total
Old 01-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^

Best way to start.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Efan

After posting I kept digging and found a lot of threads on doing the door speaker replacements. That will definitely be my starting point. I have sort of narrowed it down to the Kenwood Excelon X683C and the Rockford R168X2 Primes. There are probably some others in the same price range and quality so that list isn't final. Also, I figure going with the 6X8 vs. the 5X7 would be a better choice - any flaws in that logic?

Of course all that reading brought up even more questions - 1st one is, my window sticker says I have the 6CD Premium sound system. Looking at all the threads & pictures, I assume that is not the Sony 700 system. Am I correct? If so, does this stereo limit the quality of sound I can get even more? I'm not looking for audiophile quality sound, just something a balding 70's music fan can enjoy!

2nd question - many folks who have replaced their door speakers put Dynamat on the door skin to improve the sound quality. I haven't seen anyone list the thickness - which one? How big of a section do you cover - as far as you can spread it out or just behind the speaker? Roughly how long X wide a roll do you need to do all 4 doors?

Thanks to all!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I need new speakers in my 09 Lariat screw. It's a Sony system with the amp. Got a quote from a local car stereo place. OUCH. Oh and they wanted to Dynamat the doors. Sounded like a good idea, but they want stupid money for that. How difficult is it to remove the door panels and swap speakers myself?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeRoss
I need new speakers in my 09 Lariat screw. It's a Sony system with the amp. Got a quote from a local car stereo place. OUCH. Oh and they wanted to Dynamat the doors. Sounded like a good idea, but they want stupid money for that. How difficult is it to remove the door panels and swap speakers myself?
I'm not entirely sure the difference between your 09 and my 13 but it was super easy to take the doors off and wire in the new speakers. The doors use metric bolts so that was the biggest issue was finding all of my metric sockets. For wiring in the new speakers you can either get some wire nuts and splice the two wires or if you can buy some adapters that connect directly with the stock plug ins.

For removing the door panels you can probably find a video on youtube that shows where are the bolts are
The following users liked this post:
SmokeRoss (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
What year truck and you have the Sony system??
It's a '15 and I have the Sony system
Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 PM

And yes I plan on adding an aftermarket sub and if needed an amp on the door speakers.