Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sony speaker system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sony speaker system upgrade

Has anyone added to or replaced the factory sub in a 2010 with the Sony premium system? If so, any comments and pics?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced all of mine except the sub and center channel. I installed MB quart component 6 1/2's in the front doors and put the tweeters in the factory locations in the A pillars. I did not install the quart's crossovers because the factory speakers are already crossed over. I will install them when I add my amp and run my own wiring. I replaced the rear door speakers with Pioneer premier 6 1/2 components. The front door speakers made a big difference! Keep in mind these were like $500 speakers a few years ago though. That said the vocals are soo much clearer and I can actually feel some mid bass coming from them. The highs are much more crisp also. Changing the rear speakers was kind of a waste of time. I didnt realize this but the rear speakers volume is much lower than the front. I did one rear door then faded the h.u. all the way to the rear and couldnt hear them very well. I thought maybe something was wrong with my components or they just werent efficient enough to work off the little amp but no, the oem speakers sounded the same. As for the sub, there is little hope to make it sound better. I did stuff the little enclosure with poly fill and that helped it pick up the lower frequencies that it normally wouldnt touch but dont expect a night and day difference. It was a very cheap upgrade though, poly fill is only a few dollars and I already had some.
If you're looking for somewhere to buy some components, I found a site that have similar MB Quarts as the ones I have for much much less $.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t-PVI-216.html
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question that does it work without the power cord? like with batteries?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by darrylsaladino
I have a question that does it work without the power cord? like with batteries?
WHat? Are you talking about the amp? If so, no it will only work while plugged into the factory plug which gives it signal and power..
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I put in some polk audio db571s in the front and they sound great on the high end but bottom out really easy with any bass with components in the front will they be able to handle the way my factory nav head unit puts out the bass and not have that horrible sound?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM

You could send me the nav unit and I'll put it in my truck to test it on my components and let you know . I don't know if the output of the nav unit is different from the Sony upgraded unit but I haven't had any problems with bass response from my 6-1/2"s and I'm currently running them without there crossovers. Try fading to the front a couple of notches if that doesn't help at all go to a sound shop and get some bass blockers to install on the positive lead of your polks. They come in a range of frequency cut offs and are only like $10 or so. You'll loose most of the bass but they'll stop the bottoming out sound
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question...

So do the trucks with out the Sony sound system and trucks with the Sony sound system have the same radio or are they different?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I started this thread because I thought the sony sub sounded hollow. Since then I've came across the polyfill sub treatment post. (A must read) I stuffed my Sony sub with some polyfill and am now satisfied with the factory sub!!
Don't get me wrong, I know an aftermarket sub set up will sound better. But for 5 bucks worth of polyfill, you can't beat the results!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by justabigham
Question...

So do the trucks with out the Sony sound system and trucks with the Sony sound system have the same radio or are they different?
I think they Look the same but the Sony is a 6 disc mp3 player
Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck does not have the Sony sound but does have Sync and the 6 CD changer. Maybe the same radio/CD player as the Sony trucks?

Quick Reply: Sony speaker system upgrade