Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions...

I have 2 10" JL W3's in a foxbox under the rear seat of my 05 scab.

I have a POS 260W bridged amp powering them and even though it is turned up all the way I can barely notice any difference. They are down firing but when the exact system was in my car it sounded much better. Basically the bass is not really noticable, just adds a fuller sound. I am running 4 gauge wires for + - as well so there's no resistance there.

1. I need a new amp obviously. $$ is a big factor but I heard I should be running 300W RMS to each speaker to match the specifications and get the best sound out of them. Does anyone have any good suggestions/sites? (ebay is so flooded I'm not sure whats legit or not for brands I have never heard of.)

2. I also need to get 4 6x8 for the 4 doors due to crappy stock performance(really bad). I would like to get an amp for these as well (4 channel). Any sites (same as above or different) for getting these components as well?

I wold really like to spend as little as possible obviously but I would like a really awesome system like I've had in the past with previous cars without breaking the bank. Any brands/models to look into would be very helpful to look into as there seem to be so many knockoffs these days.

Thanks!
2005 Lariat Supercab if it is relevant for speaker size (not audiophile)
AVIC-D3 head-unit.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM

anything?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by demarco5
I have 2 10" JL W3's in a foxbox under the rear seat of my 05 scab.

I have a POS 260W bridged amp powering them and even though it is turned up all the way I can barely notice any difference. They are down firing but when the exact system was in my car it sounded much better. Basically the bass is not really noticable, just adds a fuller sound. I am running 4 gauge wires for + - as well so there's no resistance there.

1. I need a new amp obviously. $$ is a big factor but I heard I should be running 300W RMS to each speaker to match the specifications and get the best sound out of them. Does anyone have any good suggestions/sites? (ebay is so flooded I'm not sure whats legit or not for brands I have never heard of.)

2. I also need to get 4 6x8 for the 4 doors due to crappy stock performance(really bad). I would like to get an amp for these as well (4 channel). Any sites (same as above or different) for getting these components as well?

I wold really like to spend as little as possible obviously but I would like a really awesome system like I've had in the past with previous cars without breaking the bank. Any brands/models to look into would be very helpful to look into as there seem to be so many knockoffs these days.

Thanks!
2005 Lariat Supercab if it is relevant for speaker size (not audiophile)
AVIC-D3 head-unit.
1) I'm not sure what your price range is here. Do you know how the subs are wired, series or parallel? That makes a difference in the resistance and how much power you need out of the amp.

2) I replaced all 4 of my door speakers, but some people on here recommend just replacing the front door speakers with components and fading the audio more to the front, as you don't hear a lot from the back speakers. In hind sight, I think that I should have done that and I may in the future.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

I have + and - terminals going to each sub...previously in the other box they were wired to only 1 sub but the subs themselves were connected inside.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

200 per sub is plenty of power for them. What coil configuration are the subs and what is your amp budget?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by helotaxi
200 per sub is plenty of power for them. What coil configuration are the subs and what is your amp budget?
I would prefer to run 300 RMS to each sub. I'd like to stay around $100 but I have not shopped around lately. I would like a JL but $$ are definitely an issue there. Not sure on coil configuration, (JL W3 10" x2)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The theoretical difference between 200 and 300 watts per sub is only around 2 dB.

Before deciding on an amp you must know the coil configuration. JL has always offered multiple coil options on the W3 line. It is impossible to match the amp to the subs without knowing the coil impedance.

Quick Reply: Some questions...