Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Simple stereo upgrade.........sounds very good now

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Simple stereo upgrade.........sounds very good now

I kept everything stock (OEM), except added 2 10" Kicker Comp S subs, a sealed box beneath the back seat of my super cab, and a 300 watt mono amp to the subs. The amp is mounted beneath the drivers seat. This setup is loud, hits hard and deep, sounds good, and is not over the top. By adding the subs, I can turn the bass down on the head unit and this allows the existing OEM speakers to really have to play mids/highs. I was surprised at how balanced the system sounds now. The stock speakers no longer have to struggle to play the lows at the same level as mids/highs.
The following users liked this post:
Xtr11 (04-24-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by lebomb
I kept everything stock (OEM), except added 2 10" Kicker Comp S subs, a sealed box beneath the back seat of my super cab, and a 300 watt mono amp to the subs. The amp is mounted beneath the drivers seat. This setup is loud, hits hard and deep, sounds good, and is not over the top. By adding the subs, I can turn the bass down on the head unit and this allows the existing OEM speakers to really have to play mids/highs. I was surprised at how balanced the system sounds now. The stock speakers no longer have to struggle to play the lows at the same level as mids/highs.
That is what I did but only used 1 - 10" and upgraded the door speakers. Easy install to better sound.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
That is what I did but only used 1 - 10" and upgraded the door speakers. Easy install to better sound.

That is my next upgrade..........doing this is steps.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds fun. I'm looking to do the same today. Gonna swap out my door speakers and tweets, then a sub down the road. Anyone have door panel removal instructions they can share and the pillards for the tweeters?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sub box did you happenn to use?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you using your stock head unit? I've got the 4.2 unit and was wondering how to run my amp to it. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know if there are RCA's to connect to.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Xtr11
What sub box did you happenn to use?
Its a custom box. It runs the entire length of the back seat, so the jack has to be relocated.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by FallGuy0217
Are you using your stock head unit? I've got the 4.2 unit and was wondering how to run my amp to it. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know if there are RCA's to connect to.
Yes, stock unit. I had everything custom installed, but I was told RCA inputs were used, not speaker level inputs.
The following users liked this post:
FallGuy0217 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Yes, stock unit. I had everything custom installed, but I was told RCA inputs were used, not speaker level inputs.
They probably used low level adapters. They are easy to use.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
They probably used low level adapters. They are easy to use.
Exactly!!

Quick Reply: Simple stereo upgrade.........sounds very good now