Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Signal Processors

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Signal Processors

I have a Head Ache!

I've been staring at so many different LOC's and DSP's that my head is going to explode. Of everything I looked at, I still can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Argh!

Take AudioControls for example:

Really? 3 components?

The Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 seems pretty awesome, but $599? Really?

Furthermore, I don't need Bluetooth streaming. I already have it! Hello, Sync.

Clean Sweep seems like a good idea, but it doesn't have EQ or Crossover control.

Where's the $300 device that handles speaker level input, line level output that is summed, CrossOver'd, and EQ'd... and the device as on the fly Level and Crossover control on the Sub. (the latter is the hardest to find. Most units have level control, but not crossover.) Further, the crossover's I've seen don't allow for Q control.

Am I stuck having to by a $600 processor?

One of you guys suggested the Alpine unit (older one), but then in reviews, I read time delay calibration doesn't work as well as advertised. but that could be user error.

All this makes my head hurt. Maybe i should just dump my Stock HU and get an aftermarket one. But dammit, I wanna keep that wood grain dash in place. ARGH!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all are u jus gona use it for bottom an use yer factory speakers for mids an highs (only thing in my truck that is run by the amp is the subs) what set up are u gona use i have a Hitron HB-2 Digital Bass Reconstruction Processor jus for the subs ab ecvery thing else is run off the head unit an i love the sound but i do have a after market kenwood unit but its only runs 22 watts rms per channel an if u did it like i did u dont have to worry bout cross overs jus use the low pass filter in the amp an yer set
Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Amateur Hour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LCQ-1. Check my install thread.. Digital sig processors are expensive and not worth it...just use yours ears with a good xover
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

LCQ-1 for me as well. Grabbed it for $239. It's perfect and has EQ. All the units you mentioned are expensive or over rated. And that Audiocontrol graphic you posted is just their example. You don't need all that junk.
The following users liked this post:
02navyblue (12-10-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 PM

With the LCQ1, how much flexibility do you have with the Crossover points? or do I need a crossover too?

@H00ty yes keeping factory HU.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I would say try it without first. Does good for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Digital sig processors are expensive and not worth it...just use yours ears with a good xover
All the units you mentioned are expensive or over rated.
Seriously? not worth it..overrated, wow..Granted DSPs are not for everyone but there is no comparison to LCQs or Cleansweeps. A Bitone, JBL, Arc, Alpine, Fosgate 360 etc DSP in the hands of even a mediocre tuner such as myself are far superior and IMO worth spending the money on if your planning to build a SQ or great sounding SPL system.

For instance, the Bitone has 31 bands on all 8 channels, multiple filter, xover, pass, slope choices, time alignment, fine delay, phase swapping, source de-equalization...and so on. You can make an ok system sound like a symphony is sitting on your hood never mind what you can do with a real install. The JBL can give you true 7.1 surround.

Autotune features are OK for a starting point but most require additional manual tuning. There is no way an autotune can account for all the different variables in a vehicle. The Bitone doesnt have one. The JBLs and Alpines do. I prefer to hand/ear tune anyway so the Bitone was my first choice.

By comparison the LCQ1 has 6 bands of eq front & rear and 5 on the sub. No time alignment, slope or filter choices, no xovers, no individual channel eq (you can only eq the fronts & rears in pairs). Sure if you shooting for some basic equalization to clean up the stock HU go for it.

Saying they are over rated and not worth it is just plain ignorance of what these devices can do.

I ran a Bitone with my stock HU and people were amazed at how well it sounded given the stock HU is a really ****ty source. I have heard many JBLs, Alpines, etc in SQ competition cars. A modded Bitone was in the winning SQ car owned by Scott Buwalda of Hybrid Audio at the Spring Break Nationals a month back. I heard it and was blown away - I didnt think it was possible to make a car sound like his did and it wouldn't be possible without a DSP.

Like I said, not for everyone and it depends on where your taking your install and/or the level of tinkering/tuning you like to do. Sounds like your wanting to get the most out of your system - you will probably not be satisfied with anything but a DSP. As far as a $300 dollar unit that does everything your looking for...call me when you find it

Last edited by JoeBoost; 04-28-2012 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JBReid (01-15-2016)
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Good posts. thank you.

I go back to my original request... I want Level and xOver control on the fly. Such an animal exists without changing the HU?

I also want to set the slope (Q), but that doesn't need to be on the fly.

What to do, what to do...

i have my 6x8's figured out and amps..., just need the signal stuff and I'm good to go.

Can't wait.. cause, holy **** batman, Stock speakers SUCK!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
Seriously? not worth it..overrated, wow..Granted DSPs are not for everyone but there is no comparison to LCQs or Cleansweeps.
Couldn't have said it better my self. I've been into car audio for a while, and have a good ear for setting filters and xovers by hand. However, I will tell you nothing will ever take the place of a good quality DSP. It will blow your mind when you hear it. Nothing like all the speakers hitting your ears simultaneously with all the right frequencies slowly sloped off at a> 24db/oct.

You will never come close getting time alignment, xovers, or slopes even close to the SQ you could with a DSP. Even a cheaper version which takes high level inputs would dramatically change your SQ. Adding time-aliment, better slopes, and a heck of alot better signal -noise ratio.

Spend 220 on ebay and get the PXA H660 and compare it to the high end LOC. You will never buy a LOC again, and won't ever own a system without a DSP.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 AM

That alpine unit seems pretty cool. I watched few youtube vids on it. And for $220, it's seems like quite the bargain.

But... I don't have control on the fly, right? Ie, increase sub level or crossover change, etc?

Perhaps the PXE H660 is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Signal Processors