Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Secure sub box in regular cab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Secure sub box in regular cab?

Everything is ready to go in my truck but I am not sure about securing my sub down.

I pulled the carpet on the back wall because that seem to be easiest place to screw too, but the ribbed sheet metal I plan on screwing two is only single wall by the looks of it and I definetly don't want screws piercing the outer sheet metal between the body and box. There is a double wall rail a little further up, but I don't want my box pirched up in the air. Velcro was an idea, but this Alpine box carpet doesn't seem to want to hold. Some have sheeted the rear wall with plywood, but I would still have to run screws through the ribs.

One thought was to velcro some plywood to the sheetmetal then screw into that.

Anyone got a better idea?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

It is double ribbed where all the plastic push pins go in the carpet on the rear wall. You can screw a piece of 1/2" mdf to that and then screw the box to the mdf.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got 2 10s and just pushed my pass seat all the way back. Works and my passenger gets a back rub
Attached Thumbnails Secure sub box in regular cab?-image-3256650896.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02reaper
It is double ribbed where all the plastic push pins go in the carpet on the rear wall. You can screw a piece of 1/2" mdf to that and then screw the box to the mdf.
The problem is where the push pins are is too high up seeing how the box will be sitting on the floor.

Squishing between the seat is not an option either it is only an 8 and the box is pretty small.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by crankinaway
The problem is where the push pins are is too high up seeing how the box will be sitting on the floor.

Squishing between the seat is not an option either it is only an 8 and the box is pretty small.
Cut the board a few inches wider than the box, and long enough to go from the floor to the two raised ribs. Screw the board to the raised ribs on your truck and mount the box to the board. I did this behind the carpet a while back.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 02reaper
Cut the board a few inches wider than the box, and long enough to go from the floor to the two raised ribs. Screw the board to the raised ribs on your truck and mount the box to the board. I did this behind the carpet a while back.

Okay I understand that you have wood screwed to the upper double wall rib, but nothing to hold it at the bottom except the weight of the box that is screwed to it. Do you get any problems with resonance or vibration from it only being secure at the top rail?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by crankinaway
Okay I understand that you have wood screwed to the upper double wall rib, but nothing to hold it at the bottom except the weight of the box that is screwed to it. Do you get any problems with resonance or vibration from it only being secure at the top rail?
None that I can tell. You can run a thin piece under the carpet and attach it towards the side panels. It is double walled there on the bottom, but not in the center.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM

I went ahead and screwed to the top rail and it seems to be really secure. I fell short of finishing because the longest screw I could get on New Years day was 1-1/2 which wasn't quite long enough to go through with the thick insulation and carpet.

I will report how it goes once its fastened down.

Quick Reply: Secure sub box in regular cab?