Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Scoshe FD23B & FD23RB wiring harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Scoshe FD23B & FD23RB wiring harnesses

I've found these two wiring harnesses:

FD23B
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/245

FD23RB
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/246

I would like to use one of them for tapping into my speaker wiring coming out of my stereo to go to an LC6I or LCQ-1 then to an amp via RCA's then out of amp through speaker wire back to the other harness behind my factory stereo to get to my four door speakers. This way I can wire everything up without having to cut any factory wires.

Question is, will these work for my stereo? I have a 2011 XLT screw with just the regular single cd head unit with sync and Sirius.

If these will work for my stereo I just need to connect all of the wires from the first harness to the other minus all the speaker wires, right? From what I understand, the speaker wire pairs are the white/white-black, gray/gray-black, purple/purple-black, & green/green-black. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Those wires I would leave out and do all of my speaker wiring with, and the rest of the wires I would just match color for color between the two harnesses and I should be good to go I'm assuming. That is if these will work for my factory head unit and wiring.

If this is all correct please let me know, and if it isn't some guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Those harnesses will not accomplish what you want to do. Both of those are designed to plug into the stock wiring of the truck and completely eliminate the factory deck. In other words, they won't plug back into yoru deck and it won't have any function.

What you need is the Metra BT-5520 harness. This is a harness that originally was designed to add aftermarket Bluetooth system to the truck but it will function for exactly what you want. It plugs into your factory deck and then your factory wiring plugs into this harness. You can then tap into the speaker wires via the Metra harness, thereby leaving all your factory wiring alone and giving you all the inputs you need to wire out to the LC6i. This also makes it to where if you ever need to remove it, in a matter of seconds it will all again function as it should and you would never know it was there.

This is the exact route and harness I used in my 2011 FX2. Trust me, it works and will retain all factory controls and features of the stock stereo.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM

One of them is a male connector that would go into the back of the stereo and the other is a female connector that the male plug would plug into (the male plug that was in the back of the stereo). Just connect all the non-speakers together color for color to pass through for the power, steering wheel controls, etc. Wouldn't that basically be the same thing as the harness you used, minus the extra couple of plugs? Unless I'm not seeing something obvious I believe it would basically be the same thing. If I'm wrong then I'll definitely look into what you suggested.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 AM

On the Metra BT-5520, what are the two smaller black plugs for? I'm assuming their original intent was for whatever Bluetooth module it was made for. But in our installation is there any use for them....do they plug into anything or just sit there unused?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Yes they were originally meant for the bluetooth piece or adapter that goes there. The two black harnesses plug into each other. The wires are ALMOST too short to get the harnesses to plug into each other, but it does work. Once those wires are basically looped, you just leave those alone and use the other wires on the main harness.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
Yes they were originally meant for the bluetooth piece or adapter that goes there. The two black harnesses plug into each other. The wires are ALMOST too short to get the harnesses to plug into each other, but it does work. Once those wires are basically looped, you just leave those alone and use the other wires on the main harness.
When you say once those wired are basically looped, what do you mean by that?

I'm looking at getting the metra harness you're talking about and am thinking about going a whole different route than my LC6I and amp combo....mainly because of cost. I picked up the little 45x4 Alpine amp today at Best Buy since it was on sale for $89, and am thinking about installing it instead. Much cheaper and a whole lot easier to do. I'm waiting on hearing from others that have it installed as their opinions on improved sound quality vs just the stock head unit by itself. I figured I might as well pick it up since it was so cheap, and I have 30 days to decide if I want to use it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM

What I mean is they are looped when you plug the two black harnesses into each other. Those black harnesses are eseentially a broken set of wires that you can Y in the bluetooth adapter into it.

If you can find an amp with speaker level inputs, you wouldn't need the LC6i. But if you have that Alpine amp, you could probably get away with just the PAC aoem harness that just gives you the RCA outputs you need for the amp.

Quick Reply: Scoshe FD23B & FD23RB wiring harnesses