Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Review my audio plan...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Review my audio plan...

I have an 05 FX4 Supercab with the Audiophile 6 disc system. My truck often ends up parked at remote mountain trailheads so I need to keep the audio appearance stock when looking in. The only audio add-on I currently have is a Parrot MKi9100 bluetooth stereo/handsfree kit which I can detach the screen when parked.

I'd like to upgrade in phases.. I don't mind the current sound, but the mids & highs get a little brassy when you crank it and the bass could use a little more punch. Based on lurking in this forum for a while I've developed the following plan. I have some flexibility in budget:

Phase 1 - upgrade front & rear door speakers.
Fronts: CDT Audio 6.5" 2-way components. Should I do the CL-61T, the CL-61A, the CL-61A-25 PRO, or the CL-61AT-25T PRO?
Rears: CDT Audio 5.25' 2-way coax (it sounds like 5.25's will be the least work to fit). I'm torn between the CL-5EX and the CL-E51CV. Not sure if the latter is worth the extra cash?

Phase 2 - LOCs and Amp
LOCs - Do I need 1 to tap into the factory HU harness for the doors and a separate one to tap the factory sub harness? I have a PAC SNI-35 sitting around.
Amp - I'm looking for guidance.. Am I better off running one 5-channel or a 4-channel with separate sub amp? Any recommendation for wattage/brand based on this setup?

Phares 3 - New 10" sub and underseat box
I'm thinking either a DC Audio Level 2 or an RE Audio slim line with a box from either MusicMoose Audio or SuperCrew Sound. I don't want to have to raise the rear seat to fit.

And finally..
* What adapters will I need for mounting the doors?
* Is it worth installing dynamat in the doors with this setup?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Here's the truck it'll be going into.

Name:  resized_f150-caribou01a.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its all a matter of opinion on what to choose and how much you spend, I recommend Diamond Audio, great price, awesome sound. If you have a little higher budget JL Audio is always a good choice. I just recently came across TMA, Total Mobile Audio, which is JL stuff but at a fraction of the price. I like to run the same brand of subs and amps, makes it look nicer and if you call the manufacture they can tell you right away what would be the best setup for price, sql and db...IMO I would go for a 5 channel amp so you dont have to hassle with two amps, I would suggest a capacitor and/or and Optima battery though..they are pretty reasonably priced and def. dont hurt to have.

The dynamat, im not so sure about, never thought about it. I know that with my radio turned up its not that loud on the outside and I think it sounds pretty good inside the cab, nothing really rattles either, so i guess it comes down to your budget...

As far as the LOC-for the subs splice into the wire harness for the factory amp before the factory amp and the door speakers can spliced into any of the factory door speaker wires probably behind the dash to make it easy to mount the LOC and run the RCA's. If you need a wiring Diagram, I have one let me know.

Hope I could help

Last edited by Ian_T_S; 12-02-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can fit JL into your budget i would say go for it you wont regret it. also if you are going to do 2 dc lvl2 10s you might have a hard time finding a good 5 channel amp with enough juice to push everything. Best one out there is the JL 900.5HD but its is going to run you about $700. So you might be better off running a 2 amp setup.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
2001 F150 4.6L SuperCrew

I would suggest the supercrewsound downfire box. I got one specifically to keep my rear seat at the proper level. I would also suggest an alpine type S sub. I also ended up going with one twelve type s sub from alpine. If I could have afforded an IDQ sub I would have gotten that. I also have a six channel amp running my entire setup with 450rms to the sub @ 2ohms.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Car Audio Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want big bass, you could do a blow through. Nice looking truck btw. I know some about car audio, any specific questions I can try to help.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Dynamat for me, is a must. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Mitch

About the sub and box... I just recently installed a single JL 10w3 in a Foxbox in my '06 SCrew. The sound quality is awesome. I think the Foxbox is the only prefab box that will handle the mounting depth of the JL 10w3. You may even be able to squeeze a DC Level 3 in there, but not real sure of that. A Level 2 for sure though. No seat lift required for the JL 10w3 and Foxbox.

Last edited by wmitch927; 12-06-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone..

cerealwithoutthemilk - I'll at least Dynamat the doors behind the speakers then.

groundthumper18 - Good point about the amps. I'll have to see if a 4-channel + monoblock could give me more bang for the buck than a big 5 or 6 channel.

wmitch927 - Are you able to put your rear seat all the way down with the Foxbox?

Based on the advice I'm now leaning toward the JL's. Anyone have thoughts on 5.25's vs 5x7's? I'll do components in front and coax rears.

Also, anyone have experience on the quality of the JL C2 series vs the C5's? Would I really be able to notice the difference if I'm driving them with the J2 320.5 amp?

Finally.. as far as LOC's anyone have experience with the JL Cleansweep vs the AudioControl LC7? By the time I cough up for either of these I'm almost thinking I should just try to find a clean looking LCD HU instead.. any suggestions on something that looks OEM'ish?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:02 PM

If you have the extra money to spend the c5s sound great. I have a set that i just took out of my 06 if you are interested. They still sound great the only reason i took them out is becasue i went with all kicker for this system.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Mitch

Originally Posted by thump
wmitch927 - Are you able to put your rear seat all the way down with the Foxbox?
Yes... It's a tight fit, but the seat goes down all the way. I'm not a box builder or anything, but it seems like a very high quality box.

Here's a pic for ya...
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmitch927; 12-07-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Review my audio plan...