Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Retaining SYNC functions with Pioneer NAV Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Truck Newb

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Retaining SYNC functions with Pioneer NAV Unit

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before. I'm a Newb and couldn't find much while searching, haha.

I just picked up my new truck yesterday (2012 SuperCrew XLT) and I love it, but the factory audio SUCKS. I want to put in my Pioneer NAV unit from my old car, but I want to be able to keep the bluetooth functions I have now with the SYNC system.

I want to be able to play music via Bluetooth instead of having to plug my iPhone in with the USB cable to the new NAV unit. Can this still be done with the factory head unit gone?

Also, what other factory functions are lost when you remove the factory head unit?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Order the PAC MSFRD-1. BTW, it comes with an LCD screen. You won't need it, but can use it if you like. The only thing you should lose is OEM speed/volume control. Sonicelectronix.com has the best price on this adapter. PAC also makes a steering wheel control adapter. I recommend you get it as well.

PAC has great customer support, so if you have an questions give em' a call, but I recommend ordering these adapters elsewhere. PACaudio.com prices are outrageous.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Truck Newb

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got the steering wheel control module from my old car. So that's covered.

I just wanted to make sure that with the PAC adapter, that the SYNC functions were all still the same.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
I've got the steering wheel control module from my old car. So that's covered.

I just wanted to make sure that with the PAC adapter, that the SYNC functions were all still the same.

Thanks!
I would still get the PAC steering wheel control unit. It is plug n play and easy to program your controls
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The Metra/Axxess FRST unit has steering wheel controls built in so only one box to deal with.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
The Metra/Axxess FRST unit has steering wheel controls built in so only one box to deal with.

Curious if that is what you are using on your 2011...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock stereo in my truck (11 XLT) blows goats, so had to upgrade. I have a pioneer Z130 and lost the ability to pair my phone through sync. I still get the "sync, please say a command", but I lost the buttons to complete the pairing. Since that was the only sync feature I used and I can stream BT phone and audio through my (much better) head unit, I wasn't concerned. I also used a PAC unit with steering wheel controls compatible with sync which allows me to select my media source, change stations and control the volume @ the wheel. I'm sure I could utilize the other sync features if I had the hankerin...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ecoscrew
The stock stereo in my truck (11 XLT) blows goats, so had to upgrade. I have a pioneer Z130 and lost the ability to pair my phone through sync. I still get the "sync, please say a command", but I lost the buttons to complete the pairing. Since that was the only sync feature I used and I can stream BT phone and audio through my (much better) head unit, I wasn't concerned. I also used a PAC unit with steering wheel controls compatible with sync which allows me to select my media source, change stations and control the volume @ the wheel. I'm sure I could utilize the other sync features if I had the hankerin...
I would say something is wrong with the PAC unit. You did use the FRD1?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Curious if that is what you are using on your 2011...
Yes with modifications. My HU has 4 sets of rca outs which go directly to the amps which have direct 14ga runs to drivers so I dont use the units low level in/high level outs to factory speaker harness. I cut the front left HL outs from the axxess harness and they run directly to a standalone speaker under the dash for sync voice. I use the axxess units rca outs into my HU for bluetooth and the integrated steering wheel controls to HU remote in. Took little time to get this working with direction from Metra support. Works great.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM

I should add that the rca inputs plug into a Pioneer CD-RB20 so I can run the bluetooth and my iPod connector into the ip-bus of the P99 HU. Unfortunately another device to deal with but I wanted both and that was only way to make that happen.

Quick Reply: Retaining SYNC functions with Pioneer NAV Unit