Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Remote Wire Delay

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Remote Wire Delay

I need to delay my remote wire by 10 seconds. Any ideas on how to go about it? Basically I want to crank the truck and then everything turn on 10 seconds later.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea how'd you be able to do this.. but I'm very curious as to why you want it like that... not trying to be "that guy", just wondering...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I using fuse tap on #38 I thing it's delayed, or you may be able to run your remote wire through a relay, that would create a delay, probably won't be 10 sec. Though.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

per the description, some of the newest bypass for the headunits does exactly that.... they dont act just like a relay, but also incorporate a delay:

Your looking at the newest in technology that is programmed down to the thousandth of a second for EXTREME accuracy. Aftermarket radios are getting harder and harder to bypass. With this new bypass, timing is EVERYTHING!!! Several seconds of delay are needed in order to accurately bypass the parking brake feature of some of the most complicated DVD and Navigation units. With this design, all of the listed radio brands and model numbers are compatible so you don't have to buy another bypass when you buy a different brand radio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-AVH-...item1c251bdd45

Last edited by picaflor; 03-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Just use a TDR - Time delay relay. You can pick one up at radio shack for about 10 bucks. You can set the delay in increments, usually every few seconds(depending on the relay itself). I used two of them in my BMW install hooked to two thermostats reading the amps temperature, thus turning on fans after about 10 seconds.

Most come with two outlets. You run the remote wire to the "switched power", ground to ground, and 12v power to the power lead with a fuse(prolly use 18 ga with a 10amp fuse).
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by bblue02
I have no idea how'd you be able to do this.. but I'm very curious as to why you want it like that... not trying to be "that guy", just wondering...
Because I installed the LCQ-1. It has a remote turn on feature that is activated from the speaker wires from the factory amp. The problem is it turns the amp off when you shut down the vehicle (timing wise) and creates a loud pop. When running a remote wire straight to the unit it turns on before the factory amp can "boot up". Thus generating an insane startup noise. So I need the factory amp to have roughly 8-10 seconds to get going before the LCQ-1 produces an audible signal. Everything sounds amazing, simply cleaning up the little pops and squeaks at this point.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Just use a TDR - Time delay relay. You can pick one up at radio shack for about 10 bucks. You can set the delay in increments, usually every few seconds(depending on the relay itself). I used two of them in my BMW install hooked to two thermostats reading the amps temperature, thus turning on fans after about 10 seconds.

Most come with two outlets. You run the remote wire to the "switched power", ground to ground, and 12v power to the power lead with a fuse(prolly use 18 ga with a 10amp fuse).
Holy sh*t that looks like a time bomb. I'll look into it but wow, I'm just a dude that loves audio.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etazeta

Because I installed the LCQ-1. It has a remote turn on feature that is activated from the speaker wires from the factory amp. The problem is it turns the amp off when you shut down the vehicle (timing wise) and creates a loud pop. When running a remote wire straight to the unit it turns on before the factory amp can "boot up". Thus generating an insane startup noise. So I need the factory amp to have roughly 8-10 seconds to get going before the LCQ-1 produces an audible signal. Everything sounds amazing, simply cleaning up the little pops and squeaks at this point.
gotcha, thanks for the education!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM

I have an idea this morning. Will report back.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by etazeta
I need to delay my remote wire by 10 seconds. Any ideas on how to go about it? Basically I want to crank the truck and then everything turn on 10 seconds later.

Thanks.
You can use any number of delay modules, eg. Pac TR7, Metra Trigger, or custom built units. If it is low current I would use one of first two instead of adding a relay to the setup to allow for bigger loads. Custom units for high current applications with total adjustment delay can be smaller than a Zippo lighter for a clean install.

Quick Reply: Remote Wire Delay