Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Relocating Auxiliary Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Relocating Auxiliary Input

So, I dont know about you guys but I hated having my Zune/Ipod or what ever MP3 or device you plug into the AUX sit on top of my dash. I equally hated having to use a 3 foot cord to get it to sit in my cup holder. So I decided to fix that.

This will be step by step instructions on how to relocate your AUX input next to the cigarette lighter. (You can re-locate it else where if you choose)

You will need:
1) Needle nose pliers
2) Drill and Bit
3) Male - Female Audio Cord (3 footer should work Work. Mine was 6 feet from radio shack but that was all they had. It was $20 and I didnt have to worry about cutting it close)
4) J-B Weld ($5 from Auto Zone)
5) 7mm Socket and Ratchet ( Dont quote me on the 7mm, if I remember right, thats what mine was)
6) One foot Male - Male Audio Cord.

Lets Begin:

1) Remove the Center Cover that surrounds your radio and AC by pulling out on it. If you have never take it off, you will have to pull on it quite a bit. Some say pull from the top, other say start on the bottom. Work your way around until you find a side willing to come off the easiest and go from there. You may feel like you are going to break it, but odds are you wont.
2) Unplug the Passenger Air Bag notifier on located at the top.
3) To make life easier, Un plug all remaining hook ups.
4) On mine, to the left and right of the cigarette light are 2 plugs. These are not connected to anything. I know one of them is for Heated mirrors. The other, I have no earthly clue.
4a) Using the needle nose pliers, remove all of the clips that may have remained in the console rather than the cover. Put the clips back on the center cover. Their a little tough to get out, but necessary to get the cover back on with a factory fit.
5) If you are looking at the Center Cover, I chose to put mine on the right side of the lighter. Mainly because it is right next to the forward cup holder, and, the console shifter seemed like it would be in the way if I put it on the left.
6) Pop out the Plastic piece that houses the Cigarette lighter and and spare plugs if there are any. (You dont have to do it, but I didnt want to risk scratching the carbon fiber looking sticker)
7) Using the 7mm socket, remove the 2 screws located on the front of the dash tray.
8) This should pop straight up. There are only 2 plastic clips holding this in. You should not need the needle nose.
9) Unplug the wire for the AUX jack. Now remove the AUX FEMALE INPUT. (It also is simply clipped in there.
10) Re apply the AUX wire to the FEMALE Input.
11) Use a drill bit that is barely the size of the female end of your new AUX wire. Drill a hole straight through the back of the plastic where you would like your AUX located. I chose smack dab in the center of one the holders for the Heated Mirrors. If yours does not have this, take your time and make sure you get it centered.
12 Insert the Female end through the hole. You want it to barely stick out the front. Use Tape on the front to keep it in place. Flip it over, mix up your JB weld and apply. Once applied, remove the tape, and make sure it is exactly where you want it.
13) Once dry, re-connect the cigarette housing the center cover.
14) Re-connect all wires to the cover.
15) Plug the Male end of the NEW AUX wire into the FACTORY female AUX. (I ran mine behind the radio)
16) Put the center cover back on the dash pushing firmly around all the edges making sure all the clips clip back into place.
17) ENJOY!
18) ***OPTIONAL*** I am going to keep an eye out at the junk yards so that I can get the dash tray off an STX or something that doesnt have the AUX INPUT in the Tray so that it has a nice clean look...You'll understand what I mean when your done. My current Dash tray still has that little corner where its supposed to plug in. Its all one piece. Doesnt look bad or anything, but I figure why not

I typed this up in a rush, so if you notice errors let me know and Ill edit the post. If you want to know more about it, let me know and ill be sure to take step by step pics of how i did it next time i tear my dash apart which I seem to do a lot

Ill try to post some pics of how mine turned out tonight, Im gonna go buy the new nickelback album in a min, so give me about an hour or so.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 PM
American Muscle

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You = Legit.

Enjoy that CD. Thanks so much for posting this!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM

wow those pictures look great, quality work!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
American Muscle

Only 1 thumbs up????
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

awesome job. You need a camera with flash!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
American Muscle

took em with my phone
Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree, the location sucks up there, thought about moving it too, but so far I haven't used it. I think you could get the tray out of any older model, my buddies 2004 FX4 doesn't have the input up there.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
American Muscle

I freaken love it where I move it to. Its so much easier to plug and unplug and stow it in the center console every time I get in and out of my truck. Looks clean and its custom

I went to a junk yard earlier the didnt have any newer F150's though
Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM

what type of grommit did you use there? Or is that the female input sticking out?

Quick Reply: Relocating Auxiliary Input