Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

rearview aftermarket camera flicker when pressing brake. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rearview aftermarket camera flicker when pressing brake. Help

I have a Jensen camera hooked up to a Sony avx72bt head unit, hooked up power to reverse light and when I press my brake the screen flickers white. Please help the cam works just the flick others me......
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not sure I can address your specific problem, but when you say you hooked the power up to your reverse lights....do you mean you got the power for the camera from your reverse lights or you're just using your reverse lights for a trigger to turn the camera on? (or both)

Your problem might be related to how you answer these questions.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Similar problem

I'm having a similar problem. I have a Boyo rear view mirror with monitor and a license plate mounted camera. The mirror has two inputs, one for DVD or similar (who would be watching a DVD while they're driving?) and one for the camera. The camera is wired to the backup light, so it gets power only in reverse.

The mirror has three wires for power, one for power all the time (for the bluetooth), one for power only in reverse, and ground. According to the manual, Video 1 (the DVD) can be on all the time or off. Video 2 (the camera), comes on automatically when you go into reverse. That works now.

However, when I'm driving forward and I either tap the brake or turn on the turning signal the screen flickers on. It doesn't stay on, it seems to turn on and off about once per second or so, as long as either the brake or turn signal is on. I can't tell if it's the Video 1 input or Video 2. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I know it's backwards

Do you have a link to the install manual?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when i did my camera i used a toggle switch to power it on and off. never used my reverse light to turn it on. just a thought if u wanted to do it like that..
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Manual

The manual can be downloaded at http://visiontechamerica.com/site/portfolio/vtb43m/
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM
I know it's backwards

Just to make sure I've got this straight.....what is the red wire connected to and what is the green wire connected to off the camera?

My thinking is that you might have to change where you're drawing your power from. If you have the red wire connected to the reverse lights you should have it connected to an assessory like your radio.

If anything....it would be the easiest thing to try.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 AM

The red wire is connected to a wire that is hot when the ignition is on, so the mirror gets power whenever the ignition is on. The green wire is connected to a wire that's hot only in reverse.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I know it's backwards

Where are you picking up the reverse switch power?

Go Here and look at the fourth picture down. I don't know what year your truck is, but if it's between an 04 and 08 this is where it should be connected. I don't know how many years before or after are the same.

I know it's a totally different setup than yours, but there's something about the wiring causing your problem. Doesn't seem to be the power to the unit so maybe it's the reverse trigger. Just throwing all this out there for you. I hope you don't mind.

Last edited by BlacKnBack; 03-28-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You might consider an "audio filter" inline with the camera power source. Basically, it's a coil with a capacitor across it to ground. This is when old aftermarket head units were prone to picking up alternator whine and spark "noise" and needed a power source filter. That would block any AC noise getting on the camera power source. Radio Shack should still carry these for a few bucks.

Quick Reply: rearview aftermarket camera flicker when pressing brake. Help