Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Radio Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Swap

How hard is it to swap the single disc premium radio for a dvd gps radio. What other add on's will I need if I get a radio out of a used parts place?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my radio with an aftermarket pioneer avic-d3 nav unit, I got the wiring adapter from my local bestbuy and 30mins later I had a dvd playing gps locating boom box!

Or are you looking to stay factory?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by kd4uvc
How hard is it to swap the single disc premium radio for a dvd gps radio. What other add on's will I need if I get a radio out of a used parts place?
I just did this, although I had the six disc, I swapped for a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT.
I used a Metra wiring harness (there is a different one for the Audiophile system) check metraonline.com or call them to get the number.
I used a Metra double din install kit #5518 I think
I bought the Pac Switch module for steering wheel controls and the ipod cable for my pioneer.
Once I had all the parts it only took about 60 minutes to install, not including the wire soldering which I did to the harnesses while waiting for the rest of my stuff arrive.
The whole job was a piece of cake.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM

To elaborate on what NordicSpawn mentioned:

You need the Metra wiring harness to make the transition between the factory radio and your aftermarket radio. The Metra harness has a plug on one end that fits the factory plug, and wires on the other that you solder to the wires of the plug that comes with the aftermarket radio. In other works, you have to make a homemade splice between your new radio and the factory harness.

The Metra double-din kit takes up the exact same space as the factory radio, but is designed to hold your dvd/gps radio in place and provide the proper trim.

Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) has a configurator that will produce a list of everything you need.

Good luck and enjoy your new radio,

Chris
Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just upgraded from the 6 disc changer to the NAV radio on an '06 King Ranch. It was plug and play with the addition of a nav antenna. Fit right into the slot and was operable from the jump. Make sure you get a radio from a compatible F150 though or you will need to get it reprogrammed to fit your options.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mfaile
I just upgraded from the 6 disc changer to the NAV radio on an '06 King Ranch. It was plug and play with the addition of a nav antenna. Fit right into the slot and was operable from the jump. Make sure you get a radio from a compatible F150 though or you will need to get it reprogrammed to fit your options.
Are you talking factory units from Ford?
Or is this some after market system?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM

oem equipment is what I am looking at.

Quick Reply: Radio Swap