Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Question

I have a 2010 Xlt and I have been thinking about removing the Ford radio and replacing it with a Kenwood DNX 9990 that way it will have the Garmin Gps and the Dvd I know your not suppose to watch movies while driving but i like to on long trips. My question is this i know they are or have come out with the Idata where it keeps sync and steering wheel controls but what i was wondering in the top Section that currently shows the outdoor temp station and when i recieve a phone call who is calling what will hapeen to that once i get rid of the factory radio what will it display or will it even display anything at all?

Thanks for any feedback also if anyone knows the cheapest place to order the radio and everything from please feel free to help me with that imput
The following users liked this post:
Ford_Fantasy (08-23-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an older adapter and I lost the center section of the top display. The temperature display still works (which is good since it's part of the climate controls). I thought that I wanted to keep Sync as well when I installed my Kenwood Nav/DVD unit, but the fact is that since the Kenwood has Bluetooth, the Sync quickly proved redundant and I haven't used it or missed it since I installed the aftermarket unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by helotaxi:
Billy Eng5ine (08-23-2012), Ford_Fantasy (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the input. that is the main thing i would like to keep is the temp.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket unit...

Originally Posted by Billy Eng5ine
I have a 2010 Xlt and I have been thinking about removing the Ford radio and replacing it with a Kenwood DNX 9990 that way it will have the Garmin Gps and the Dvd I know your not suppose to watch movies while driving but i like to on long trips. My question is this i know they are or have come out with the Idata where it keeps sync and steering wheel controls but what i was wondering in the top Section that currently shows the outdoor temp station and when i recieve a phone call who is calling what will hapeen to that once i get rid of the factory radio what will it display or will it even display anything at all?

Thanks for any feedback also if anyone knows the cheapest place to order the radio and everything from please feel free to help me with that imput

There are many aftermarket product you can use which will solve your problem.I have also faced the same problem and solved with aftermarket unit.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

In the upper window will display "built Ford tough" instead of info. You will keep temp and compass and fan speed icons.

You will need to bypass the kenwood to be able to watch movies while driving or input GPS while moving.

I would not waste my time with Sync, it is ok but the Kenwood will do 99% of what the sync does.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed kenwood dnx 9990 in 2010 lariat. So much better than sync. Just press iPod icon and it starts playing! Amazing! I hated pressing a combination of buttons just for iPod. The phone screen on the kenwood is far superior than sync. Your phone book downloads to the kenwood and it's very easy to scroll through. Actually the whole kenwood system is easy to use. I didn't even have to go through a manual. It's not like the 100 page sync manual that you have to study review for a couple hours. Get rid of sync, you'll be much happier.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Eng5ine

If you use a 2013 Kenwood Radio (DNX890HD or any of the DNX models) rather than a DNX9990 and you install with Maestro, you can have everything you want. The new radio and interface work together, and the center part of your disaplay will stay alive. We even put data there when you are using the Kenwood sources. In addition, you can still retain sync, use SYNC for hands free, see all your contacts and phone logs and have all the Kenwood sources in ADDITION.

See this thread for details:
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/maestr...ention-192560/

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Radio Question