Quick 2013 Super Crew Speaker Question - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Stereo/Audio

Quick 2013 Super Crew Speaker Question

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Quick 2013 Super Crew Speaker Question

What's going on fellas.

I have a 2015 Super Crew and am sick of the stereo system. The deck is horribly under powered giving the speakers a hindered sound. When you turn the volume all the way up the bass is somehow turned down due to lack of juice to push volume and bass.

I was going to replace all 4 door speakers.

I saw the Ford Kicker kit but I think it's only for certain models and won't sound all that great from what I heard. Although, that's one persons opinion.

I was going Kicker myself with their best KS series. The problem with KS is that they don't make them in "components". So instead of the speaker being in the door and the tweeter attached being on the door pillar, the tweeter and speaker are on the same unit in the door.

I was told by the stereo shop to buy the model down. Not the low end DS, but the middle model CS. He said, the CS is just the speaker and the tweeter will fit in the pillar. He said when you have a tweeter build into the speaker, it restricts flow and movement of the speaker thus taking away from the mid-bass.

He also told me to buy two pairs of components. Once the front is installed they will do the rear and make a little cut out with a locking clip that will lock the tweeter in place giving you 4 kicker and 4 kicker tweeters as connected "component" speakers. Now, we connect it to a 4 channel 400-600watt RMS Kicker Amp and we're ready to roll.

I was advised that even this basic setup will be better than the kicker upgrade offered by Ford.

The only think I'm lacking is the sub which I'm not sure I care enough about it anymore as much as I did 25yrs ago. I was adviced to buy a mono amp and a flat sub in a truck box and it'll out perform the ford conversion with no problem. The only thing is yes, you get what you pay for and a box, sub, new amp, etc would be a little costly so for now I'll just stick with the door speakers.

My question is:
1) what do you think about the setup I'm planning
2) what if I did this setup but with a Ford kicker upgrade sub installed only?
3) are the factory kicker upgrade door speakers powered by an amp?
4) are the factory kicker upgrade tweeters upgraded?
5) Just to be clear, I'm searching for 5x7/6x8 speakers, right? As these are the same size per se...
6) Any other comments/suggestions?
bb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #2

Your front speakers are the absolute most important part of your stereo. I would put a nice set of components in the front and a cheap pair of coaxials in the rear. Actually, I dont even run rear speakers in any of my systems but outside of car stereo forums that advice falls on deaf ears. I wouldnt use oval speakers. You can make adapter plates and use a 6.5 speaker. Alot more selection of speakers.

Last edited by king nothing; 12-04-2015 at 11:04 PM.
king nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #3

Don't the 6x8 have more surface area therefore produce more bass?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb123 View Post
It would be hard to get any real bass out of a 6x8.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #5

But it would be strong than the 6.5" right? This would avoid having to build the bracket explained by King, right?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
But it would be strong than the 6.5" right? This would avoid having to build the bracket explained by King, right?
It is up to you. It all depends on your budget and how "great" you want it to sound. My ears think the 6x8s sound fine.
Just don't use the stock ones.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
WindowGuy

I did the 6x8's in the rear and 6.5 components in the front. I made the brackets, that's a pretty simple job, but you can buy them from Crutchfield. They actually include them if you buy speakers from them. I'd recommend buying better speakers for the front doors. There are several brands that will sound a lot better than Kicker.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
There are very few quality 6x8s on the market. You will have a much better selection of 6.5 speakers. Higher quality speakers can take more power and have higher excursion, trumping the cone area "advantage" of the 6x8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab View Post

It is up to you. It all depends on your budget and how "great" you want it to sound. My ears think the 6x8s sound fine.
Just don't use the stock ones.
I am often guilty of recommending equipment that I would use that might be more high-end that your average person needs or wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenprice1 View Post
I did the 6x8's in the rear and 6.5 components in the front. I made the brackets, that's a pretty simple job, but you can buy them from Crutchfield. They actually include them if you buy speakers from them. I'd recommend buying better speakers for the front doors. There are several brands that will sound a lot better than Kicker.
I would not use the cheap plastic brackets from crutchfield. I prefer to make mine from at least 3/8 material
king nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:28 AM   #9

Thanks guys!

What do you thinking about the kicker kit with subs and amps?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
WindowGuy

Here's my opinion. I have the complete kit in my truck. I upgraded the front speakers to JL 6.5 components. This system sounds a lot better than stock If you can get the complete kit for $375, I'd do it You can't do anything else of equal quality for that price. If you want better sound, your going to spend a lot more money. That being said, If I were to do it again, I'd go with a more powerful system, A 400-500 watt amp for the doors and a 400-500 watt amp for the sub, and better speakers. Not to be louder, but to have cleaner, more accurate sound reproduction.