Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Questions before I buy gear, '07 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Questions before I buy gear, '07 Lariat

So I was rolling through threads and found some disparate pieces of information here and there. I looked at the Audio Basics thread and got some guidance on speaker size.

I have a Premium HU, six disc MP3, no sub. I just want to change out the speakers and the headunit, but retain all OEM stuff like steering wheel controls.

I see that the current speakers, according to the Basics thread, are 6x8 1-ways. Can I put in 6x8 3-ways and the sound quality still be relatively decent?

Oh heck, let me just list the components I think I need and you can tell me if I'm doing it right or not.

Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6 x 8-Inches Full Range 3-Way Speakers

Metra 72-5600 Ford Speaker Harness 1998-UP

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles

Car Radio Antenna Adapter Kit Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and Jeep 2002 & Up (BAA20 21, 40-CR30)

Metra Electronics 70-5520 Wiring Harness for Select 2003-Up Ford Vehicles

I assume that's the entire list I'll need for a decent sounding replacement to the system in my truck right now. A new headunit, new speakers all the way around (no amps because they don't appear to need it when paired with a decent headunit), harness for OEM to speaker wiring, double din kit, antenna adapter, steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness so I don't have to cut my truck HU wiring harness. Oh and a bypass so I can run video while moving.

I'll hook up a rear view emblem cam around the same time I'm doing this change so I can just do it all in one go.

Is that accurate or are there any of those I need to drop?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by elricfate
So I was rolling through threads and found some disparate pieces of information here and there. I looked at the Audio Basics thread and got some guidance on speaker size.

I have a Premium HU, six disc MP3, no sub. I just want to change out the speakers and the headunit, but retain all OEM stuff like steering wheel controls.

I see that the current speakers, according to the Basics thread, are 6x8 1-ways. Can I put in 6x8 3-ways and the sound quality still be relatively decent?

Oh heck, let me just list the components I think I need and you can tell me if I'm doing it right or not.

Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6 x 8-Inches Full Range 3-Way Speakers

Metra 72-5600 Ford Speaker Harness 1998-UP

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles

Car Radio Antenna Adapter Kit Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and Jeep 2002 & Up (BAA20 21, 40-CR30)

Metra Electronics 70-5520 Wiring Harness for Select 2003-Up Ford Vehicles

I assume that's the entire list I'll need for a decent sounding replacement to the system in my truck right now. A new headunit, new speakers all the way around (no amps because they don't appear to need it when paired with a decent headunit), harness for OEM to speaker wiring, double din kit, antenna adapter, steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness so I don't have to cut my truck HU wiring harness. Oh and a bypass so I can run video while moving.

I'll hook up a rear view emblem cam around the same time I'm doing this change so I can just do it all in one go.

Is that accurate or are there any of those I need to drop?
You have it all covered
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know if they make a harness to go from steering wheel controls to the ASWC-1 so I don't have to splice the lines?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM

Does anyone know if they make a harness to go from steering wheel controls to the ASWC-1 so I don't have to splice the lines?
The harness just taps into one or two wires of the existing harness and the power and ground of the new radio. No splicing. The install book will tell you which color wire(s) to tap
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
The harness just taps into one or two wires of the existing harness and the power and ground of the new radio. No splicing. The install book will tell you which color wire(s) to tap
You don't know this about me but I don't like scotch locks. I would rather strip the line, make an army splice and drop some solder on it, then heatshrink it.

But if I could avoid doing that, I was going to. Not a big deal.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 PM

You don't know this about me but I don't like scotch locks. I would rather strip the line, make an army splice and drop some solder on it, then heatshrink it.

But if I could avoid doing that, I was going to. Not a big deal.
Good for you...

Quick Reply: Questions before I buy gear, '07 Lariat