Pros and cons of retaining Sync - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Pros and cons of retaining Sync

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Pros and cons of retaining Sync

Last spring I bought a used 2010 F150 XLT and I'm looking to possibly replace the stock stereo with a DVD unit, mostly so I can monitor a rear view camera (don't want a separate monitor on the dash, and replacing the mirror costs about the same as a new stereo). My truck has Sync, and I'm wondering why I should retain it. Currently, I only use Sync for hands free calling and occasionally playing music from my iPhone. Every head unit I've looked at has Bluetooth built in and they all have iPhones controls. To retain the Sync requires buying a Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter for $150 ($75 if I buy everything through Crutchfield). I'm planning on buying the steering wheel controls adapter whether I retain the Sync or not. What else does Sync do that would justify keeping it?
Hugefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gonzales, Texas
Posts: 2,190
Thanked 89 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I wouldn't really worry bout keeping it. Every car with sync I've been around the sync goes out eventually anyways.
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 2,401
Thanked 261 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Remember the Maestro also allows you to retain the steering wheel controls.
One thing you get with Sync is 911 notification in case of an accident.
Feathermerchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathermerchant View Post
Remember the Maestro also allows you to retain the steering wheel controls.
One thing you get with Sync is 911 notification in case of an accident.
I think I got confused with this. The Maestro is the way to go if I decide on a Kenwood receiver and want to keep Sync.The adapter must just be the vehicle specific final hookup. For any other brand of stereo, I'd need the PAC MS-FRD1 Factory Integration Adapter to retain Sync, plus a PAC SWI-RC for the steering wheel controls. Which is a better interface, the PAC or the Maestro.
So the truck calls 911 automatically in case of an accident? Even with the basic Sync system? I know OnStar does that, but didn't know about that feature with Sync.
Hugefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Big Easy
Posts: 14,378
Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,087 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugefire View Post
So the truck calls 911 automatically in case of an accident? Even with the basic Sync system? I know OnStar does that, but didn't know about that feature with Sync.
I think that only works if you pay for the services subscription, but I could be wrong.

.
Rnlcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 2,401
Thanked 261 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Rnlcomp may be right. I bought a Ford certified used truck and it may be a free one year subscription or something. It uses a paired phone and the GPS receiver in the truck to make the call. I don't know for sure if it needs a subscription. The Maestro is flashed (programmed for your car/head unit combo so it is pretty versatile. I bought the DNX890HD so I also have 2 vehicle specific screens - tire pressure/voltage/check engine, and a configurable gauge screen. It also has Garmin navigation.
Feathermerchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Big Easy
Posts: 14,378
Thanked 2,660 Times in 2,087 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathermerchant View Post
Rnlcomp may be right. I bought a Ford certified used truck and it may be a free one year subscription or something. It uses a paired phone and the GPS receiver in the truck to make the call. I don't know for sure if it needs a subscription. The Maestro is flashed (programmed for your car/head unit combo so it is pretty versatile. I bought the DNX890HD so I also have 2 vehicle specific screens - tire pressure/voltage/check engine, and a configurable gauge screen. It also has Garmin navigation.

When I bought my truck (new) it came with 3 days of services IIRC then I had to pony up $60/yr for services, I re upped again seeing's it's only $5/mth.

On star is the same way, a subscription is required.

Whether or not the phone that's paired auto calls when the airbags deploy is beyond me because I don't really wish to test that theory LOL.

.
Rnlcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,012
Thanked 275 Times in 256 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
When I bought my truck (new) it came with 3 days of services IIRC then I had to pony up $60/yr for services, I re upped again seeing's it's only $5/mth.

On star is the same way, a subscription is required.

Whether or not the phone that's paired auto calls when the airbags deploy is beyond me because I don't really wish to test that theory LOL.

.
My new 2011 came with 2 years sub.
Wyo11Scab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,012
Thanked 275 Times in 256 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugefire View Post
Last spring I bought a used 2010 F150 XLT and I'm looking to possibly replace the stock stereo with a DVD unit, mostly so I can monitor a rear view camera (don't want a separate monitor on the dash, and replacing the mirror costs about the same as a new stereo). My truck has Sync, and I'm wondering why I should retain it. Currently, I only use Sync for hands free calling and occasionally playing music from my iPhone. Every head unit I've looked at has Bluetooth built in and they all have iPhones controls. To retain the Sync requires buying a Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter for $150 ($75 if I buy everything through Crutchfield). I'm planning on buying the steering wheel controls adapter whether I retain the Sync or not. What else does Sync do that would justify keeping it?
Some people leave SYNC disconnected after they go aftermarket BT
Wyo11Scab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,012
Thanked 275 Times in 256 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugefire View Post
I think I got confused with this. The Maestro is the way to go if I decide on a Kenwood receiver and want to keep Sync.The adapter must just be the vehicle specific final hookup. For any other brand of stereo, I'd need the PAC MS-FRD1 Factory Integration Adapter to retain Sync, plus a PAC SWI-RC for the steering wheel controls. Which is a better interface, the PAC or the Maestro.
So the truck calls 911 automatically in case of an accident? Even with the basic Sync system? I know OnStar does that, but didn't know about that feature with Sync.
There is a universal Maestro so you don't have to use Kenwood. Pretty sure it won't call 911.
Wyo11Scab is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 Ford F150 Lariat - New Headlights HawkGent 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 9 06-11-2016 07:40 PM
Southeast: Ford Sync Lockpick usmcknight69 2009 - 2014 Part Sales 10 10-01-2015 10:47 PM
Well that escalated quickly Maximilian 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 6 09-29-2015 03:03 AM
Lockers Al_Maryland 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 5 09-28-2015 09:51 PM
SYNC 3 Charge ? Aztec69 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 09-27-2015 04:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com