Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Powered sub fuse tap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Powered sub fuse tap?

I just ordered a Kenwood KSC-SW11 for my 2012 f150 and want to know if I actually need to run a cable for power directly to the battery? Keeping the stock head unit and totally understand how to tap the rear speakers since there are no RCA's on the head unit. I am trying to figure out if I can just use a fuse tap to avoid needing to blow through the firewall to get to the battery. Just seems like it would be easier to tap a fuse. If this is possible does anyone have a suggestion on fuse to tap? Here is the link to the manual for the sub if that helps. https://content.abt.com/documents/48...C-SW11(EN).pdf
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Dykstrajl
I just ordered a Kenwood KSC-SW11 for my 2012 f150 and want to know if I actually need to run a cable for power directly to the battery? Keeping the stock head unit and totally understand how to tap the rear speakers since there are no RCA's on the head unit. I am trying to figure out if I can just use a fuse tap to avoid needing to blow through the firewall to get to the battery. Just seems like it would be easier to tap a fuse. If this is possible does anyone have a suggestion on fuse to tap? Here is the link to the manual for the sub if that helps. https://content.abt.com/documents/48...C-SW11(EN).pdf
It would be easier but not the correct way. You should feed a wire to the battery. It really is quite easy to do. A fuse box tap would not provide the amps you need and would reduce performance of the sub.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
It would be easier but not the correct way. You should feed a wire to the battery. It really is quite easy to do. A fuse box tap would not provide the amps you need and would reduce performance of the sub.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just got a quote from a local audio installer for $300! That's nuts. I know what I'm doing next week I guess. Is there a good spot to feed the power cable through the firewall? Also, what should I tap to make sure it's not constantly drawing power from the battery?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I ran my power wire from the battery through a firewall grommet on the passenger side. Some have gone through the drivers side. There should be a remote turn on for the sub amp. The amp only comes on when the remote sends a signal -> not always drawing power from the battery. You can us an add-a-circuit on fuse #38, I believe it is, for this remote power on. So you will need to run a power wire and remote wire from the front to the sub amp. You will also need to get a audio signal to the amp. Can do this by tapping speaker wires.

Looking at your manual, blu/wht is the remote power on, yellow is power from the battery, black is ground

Last edited by Tallyman89; 04-29-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Dykstrajl
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just got a quote from a local audio installer for $300! That's nuts. I know what I'm doing next week I guess. Is there a good spot to feed the power cable through the firewall? Also, what should I tap to make sure it's not constantly drawing power from the battery?
Do what Tally said. There is a firewall grommet on the battery side with a nipple on it. Slice the nipple and stick the wire in. You will find it coming out under the glove box. You need an in-line fuse by the battery. If you get an amp wiring kit it will have what you need
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah running a power wire straight to the battery is the best way by far not to mention safest. Also make sure you fuse that power wire within 18" of the battery that way if the wire shorts or arcs our whatever, itll pop and wont burn your truck to the ground. Dont laugh, its happened a whole lot more than you think.

Youll probably need a remote lead to turn the amp on. It may have a current sensing option to where itll detect the signal coming through the speaker wires and thatll turn it on. If not, wiring into a fuse that is powered on with the ignition is ok to do as you you dont need a lot of power for this, just a little 12V signal to turn the amp on.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
I ran my power wire from the battery through a firewall grommet on the passenger side. Some have gone through the drivers side. There should be a remote turn on for the sub amp. The amp only comes on when the remote sends a signal -> not always drawing power from the battery. You can us an add-a-circuit on fuse #38, I believe it is, for this remote power on. So you will need to run a power wire and remote wire from the front to the sub amp. You will also need to get a audio signal to the amp. Can do this by tapping speaker wires.

Looking at your manual, blu/wht is the remote power on, yellow is power from the battery, black is ground
Awesome. Thanks for the help everyone. Power will get run to the battery, remote power on to fuse 38. Is that fuse in the cabin or engine compartment?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Is this the correct item to use to tapping a fuse?
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-Blade-Circuit-Holder/dp/B001QRSBW0 http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-Blade-Circuit-Holder/dp/B001QRSBW0
Old 05-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Pull a fuse to make sure the type needed. But that basically what you need.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:13 PM

Pull a fuse to make sure the type needed. But that basically what you need.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Powered sub fuse tap?