Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Power Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Wire?

I bought some 8 gauge power wire at lowes today to run a second amp the wire is stiffer and looks different than the other power wire. My question is does it matter? or should i quit being cheap and go buy another amp install kit?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts

I think it will be fine. It's probably less flexible bc it contains more copper then the cheap wire that usually comes in amp kits.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Been Around!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How many strands of copper are in the wire and is it oxygen free copper? Also, is the wire casing oil and other chemicals resistant to protect the wire? I use OFC wire with at least 1,200 strands and oil resistant casing. Oxygen free means the wire will not corrode. 8 gauge is good for a shorter run to an amp. But be sure to use at least 4 gauge for your main power supply then you can use a covered distribution block inside the truck to connect 8 gauge wires for each amp. Put a fuse in line close to the battery to protect the whole system, the fuse size depends on how much power you are pulling off the battery. I also agree with HTXfX4 that most amp kits contain cheap wire unless it is Monster Cable which is usually too expensive, just buy wire individually.

Last edited by Blueleader; 11-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you bought some thick strand wiring for the house. That will work but it's not what you should be using in the truck/car ...It won't crimp as nice as the high strand count big gauge wire. Oh, please don't use wire nuts. .You're not wiring up a ceiling fan. lol
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueleader
How many strands of copper are in the wire and is it oxygen free copper? Also, is the wire casing oil and other chemicals resistant to protect the wire? I use OFC wire with at least 1,200 strands and oil resistant casing. Oxygen free means the wire will not corrode. 8 gauge is good for a shorter run to an amp. But be sure to use at least 4 gauge for your main power supply then you can use a covered distribution block inside the truck to connect 8 gauge wires for each amp. Put a fuse in line close to the battery to protect the whole system, the fuse size depends on how much power you are pulling off the battery. I also agree with HTXfX4 that most amp kits contain cheap wire unless it is Monster Cable which is usually too expensive, just buy wire individually.

thats what im doing running the 8 gauge from a distribution block i already have the 4 gauge in place....

thanks for all the responses

Quick Reply: Power Wire?