Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Is it possible to delete/replace complete MFT/Sync in 2015 F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Is it possible to delete/replace complete MFT/Sync in 2015 F-150?

Since it is apparent that MFT/sync will never really be what it should be, can it be deleted without screwing up the rest of the truck? Or at least be masked so you can't see/hear/use it?

A far ranging plan would be to delete and replace with a Android based touch display/radio/infotainment system. I'm not much into high powered systems, just good enough sounding. I'm really more interested in extra apps, easily updated Nav, internet connectivity, and the like.

I have searched the forum and the innerweb and really haven't found a good answer. Perhaps my GoogleFu is weak.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia
Since it is apparent that MFT/sync will never really be what it should be, can it be deleted without screwing up the rest of the truck? Or at least be masked so you can't see/hear/use it?

A far ranging plan would be to delete and replace with a Android based touch display/radio/infotainment system. I'm not much into high powered systems, just good enough sounding. I'm really more interested in extra apps, easily updated Nav, internet connectivity, and the like.

I have searched the forum and the innerweb and really haven't found a good answer. Perhaps my GoogleFu is weak.
I had the Alpine X009-FD2 installed in my 2014 XLT and have abandoned most of sync.
I use the Alpine to handle bluetooth n hands free calls. I lose text appearing on screen and voice searches but i'm ok with that. the Alpine gives me everything i need with a few touches. from address book for quick calls pandora, XM and about 4 other options to satisfy my music hunger and navigation. i do keep all my gauges on screen if thats sync related.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

[QUOTE=MichaelInCalifornia;4147023]Since it is apparent that MFT/sync will never really be what it should be, can it be deleted without screwing up the rest of the truck? Or at least be masked so you can't see/hear/use it?

I have searched the forum and the innerweb and really haven't found a good answer. Perhaps my GoogleFu is weak.[/QUOTE

Just pull the fuse for SYNC and see what happens
Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelInCalifornia

2015 is new truck again! Not same as 13/14 refresh. If you have MFT (8 inch screen) and you completely remove the screen (with large aluminum sync module connected to the back of it) you will be disconnecting Sync from the truck. Here's a list of things that will no longer work:

1. BT hands free - with 911 Assist, wifi hotspot
2. Media hub
3. Back up camera with dynamic guidelines and parking assist overlay (paring sensors)
4. Climate control buttons that are only in the radio (not sure about 2015 but in earlier models you would lose buttons for heated/cooled seats as well as rear climate control if you have)
5. Media hub

This isn't everything, but it's a good start. Sync is connected to all three data networks in car and may also act as the gateway for passing messages from one network to others, but we are not able to be sure about this.

Best,
Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the thoughts.

BT, of course, would come with the new headunit as would voice recognition I suspect. Ditto backup camera. Hotspot is useless. Clueless on media hub, but I suspect its unnecessary. You can apparently keep your steering wheel controls too.

As to whether the rest of the truck would work, I guess we don't know.

Messing this evening with the MFT, I see that you can change the door code, but that is redundant as you can do that on the keypad.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Climate controls are tied into the MFT as well as what is mentioned. Changing it out isn't feasible just yet, but hoping that one or two audio manufacturers come up with a module to replace those components to be able to use the controls. I have a Fusion with MFT and went through these same questions. Heated and cooled seats can only be controlled through MFT, as well as vent positions. In the F150 though Ford gets the redundant controls, so it may be possible to remove MFT while maintaining Climate controls, provided of course the buttons dont go to MFT module first.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 PM

acdii, on my XLT, the climate controls seem rather separate. Of course, one never knows what goes on behind the scenes.
The following users liked this post:
acdii (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Mine are separate as well with MFT, but who knows how the APIM in connected.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to delete/replace complete MFT/Sync in 2015 F-150?