Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

portable wireless backup camera & monitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Cool portable wireless backup camera & monitor

I must admit that after 37 years of marriage & connecting trailers, my wife still has no clue on hand signals or why I can't move the truck hitch 6" to the left when I've only got 6" to back up. With light weight trailers I can usually "gee-haw" the tongue and get it on, but not with the big guys.

I need to build a portable wireless backup camera & monitor system for my 2007 F150 Lariat that can be easily moved to my 2008 F350 Lariat. I want the system to be "plug & play" and not hardwired. I have read everything that I can on here regarding wireless backup systems as well as on other sites and don't want to tap into the factory wiring or make any other mods to either truck. I have found some systems that use the 4 pin connector for power for the camera and transmitter and the 12v accessory plug for the receiver and monitor. The bad part of that is that you have to turn your lights on each time that you use it.

Anyway, I was thinking about using the setup listed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Car-Rear-View-Kit-7-LCD-Monitor-CCD-Reversing-Camera-Backup-System-/141144810481?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item20dce2e3f1 and wiring it to the reverse pin #7 (center pin) (purple) of a spare 7 pin trailer connector. I would use a magnetic mount for the camera. Likewise, I would use a velcro mount for the monitor and a cigarette mount for the power.

I should say that this would only be used when I'm connecting the trailer, not when I'm traveling. Also, I want a CCD camera not a CMOS as well as a 7" LCD monitor (not the greatest eyesight anymore). Has anyone done anything similar or has any other ideas on how to do this? One last thing, both trucks, (F150 & F350) have factory tow packages with both 4 pin & 7 pin connectors.

I was also wondering if anyone else has used this kit or has any experience with it. I can't find any reviews and don't know who makes it. It looks like "off the shelf" components. Once completed I'll let you know how it works together with pix. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

You should know that the issue you are having with your spotter is quite common, which is what keeps us busy!

I took a look at the eBay kit you are considering and wanted to point out a couple things. First off the type of wireless transmitter that kit uses will eventually cause an issue since they are really not water proof. They have some weather resistance but we used to sell a similar transmitter and it didn't do well in the elements. In addition, these transmitters are prone to interference, especially on pickup trucks for some reason. For a while we had a wireless F150 and GM truck kit but discontinued it because it was riddled with these issues.

We now carry a commercial grade wireless kit that is heavily used in the agriculture industry so you know it's durable. The transmitter is located inside the camera housing so it will not be susceptible to moisture damage etc. It only requires one simple wire for power and as you mentioned the center pin of your trailer plug is a great place to get reverse activated power. The power lead terminates with a single plug so it would be easy to disconnect and move to another vehicle. The monitor is a 7" heavy duty LCD display and has a more durable mount than the one you were looking at on eBay. It also has reinforced PCB technology on the inside so it can take more abuse than a lightweight kit.

Feel free to call me and I would be happy to help you set something up for your truck that will install easily and is built to last. The kit I'm referencing can be found here:

https://camera-source.com/products/w...m-complete-kit

Regards,

Chris

camera-source.com
414-939-5226

Quick Reply: portable wireless backup camera & monitor