Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Popping sound with Sync

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping sound with Sync

Hello. I'm new to the Ford world and I am hoping for some help. A few months back I purchased a 2014 F-150 Crew Cab. The first few months the radio was fine. Then one day is stopped responding to any button I pushed. Once I shut the truck off and powered it down it went back to working fine. I didn't give it much thought. Around Christmas it did it again only this time I could not shut it off even with the key out and the door open. I did a little research on line and got that to go away. Now the radio will occasionally go silent but the power is still on. It will stay silent until I hit a preset then it comes back on. It also makes a loud popping sound (like someone tapping on a mic at about 3-4 taps a minute) when I attempt to use Sync with my iphone. I have also noticed it only does the "goes silent" thing if I have my iphone Bluetooth turned on. I don't have to be using Sync, but if the Bluetooth icon is present on the radio screen it will eventually stop playing the FM station until I hit a preset.
If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the input. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Photobob
Hello. I'm new to the Ford world and I am hoping for some help. A few months back I purchased a 2014 F-150 Crew Cab. The first few months the radio was fine. Then one day is stopped responding to any button I pushed. Once I shut the truck off and powered it down it went back to working fine. I didn't give it much thought. Around Christmas it did it again only this time I could not shut it off even with the key out and the door open. I did a little research on line and got that to go away. Now the radio will occasionally go silent but the power is still on. It will stay silent until I hit a preset then it comes back on. It also makes a loud popping sound (like someone tapping on a mic at about 3-4 taps a minute) when I attempt to use Sync with my iphone. I have also noticed it only does the "goes silent" thing if I have my iphone Bluetooth turned on. I don't have to be using Sync, but if the Bluetooth icon is present on the radio screen it will eventually stop playing the FM station until I hit a preset.
If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the input. Thanks everyone.
Pull the fuse or,
Make sure firmware is updated or,
Take to dealer
The following users liked this post:
Photobob (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:42 PM

I have tried disconnecting the battery for about an hour but that did not seem to help. I do not know how to update the firmware. I would be happy to give it a shot if someone could walk me through it.
I should also point out that when it would not shut off at all I was only a few miles from a local Ford dealer so I stopped in and spoke to the service manager. He told me he couldn't get me in for about a month. I explained that it was blasting away right now and I cant shut it off or turn it down but he still couldn't help me.

Last edited by Photobob; 01-25-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've updated Sync a few times with good results. Try this.
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...usb-drive.html
As a side note, that would p1ss me off if I coudn't get my expensive truck squared away for a month
The following users liked this post:
Photobob (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks KodeBrown. I will give that a try when I get home from work and the kids sports tonight. I will post the results asap.
Thanks again for the help.