Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed now for radio install in progress

*****scroll down for the current issue the first posts are background******

looking for a sticky or a how-to on double din install into a 13 xlt WITHOUT the factory 4.2" screen.

i have a new double din power acoustik headunit and harness adapter as well as the ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter, will be installing a kicker 8" int he back with a JBL amp as well. Im fairly familiar with full headunit/sub installs just looking for a how to on dash removal and steering wheel control harness location, as well as firewall grommet location into the engine bay and good ground points for the rear cab underseat and under the dash.

Last edited by usnfenix; 09-02-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
looking for a sticky or a how-to on double din install into a 13 xlt WITHOUT the factory 4.2" screen.

i have a new double din power acoustik headunit and harness adapter as well as the ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter, will be installing a kicker 8" int he back with a JBL amp as well. Im fairly familiar with full headunit/sub installs just looking for a how to on dash removal and steering wheel control harness location, as well as firewall grommet location into the engine bay and good ground points for the rear cab underseat and under the dash.
Here is the dash kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-...pXThyL&vxp=mtr
Dash unsnaps except for 1 screw at the bottom. You can see the hole.
There is a grommet on the firewall passenger side to run your battery cable.
You can ground your amp to a seat bolt.
Steering wheel control will attach to the radio harness for ground and switched power. You will need to get your switched power from the fuse box in passenger side by your foot. There will be a wire on the harness that connects to the factory harness also. You can get that color on their website
What wiring harness did you get? You can use a 5520. About $5.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 09-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Here is the dash kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-...pXThyL&vxp=mtr
Dash unsnaps except for 1 screw at the bottom. You can see the hole.
There is a grommet on the firewall passenger side to run your battery cable.
You can ground your amp to a seat bolt.
Steering wheel control will attach to the radio harness for ground and switched power. You will need to get your switched power from the fuse box in passenger side by your foot. There will be a wire on the harness that connects to the factory harness also. You can get that color on their website
What wiring harness did you get? You can use a 5520. About $5.
i have the metra dash kit P/N 95-5820B,

the harness adapter i have is an AXXESS XSVI-5520-NAV, although my power acoustik PD-624HB doesnt have NAV, its the adapter that soniceletronix sent with it.

So with a previous build ive had to rip into the panels under the steering wheel for harness access however this was years ago, havent done a steering wheel control retaining install in awhile. So based on your post it sounds like the ASWC-1 will install on the harness from the factory headunit?

do you know offhand which fuses to tap, i have an adda a fuse circuit and i do have a tester light so i could poke around and find switched power and constant it just makes it easier if you know.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM

i have the metra dash kit P/N 95-5820B,

the harness adapter i have is an AXXESS XSVI-5520-NAV, although my power acoustik PD-624HB doesnt have NAV, its the adapter that soniceletronix sent with it.

So with a previous build ive had to rip into the panels under the steering wheel for harness access however this was years ago, havent done a steering wheel control retaining install in awhile. So based on your post it sounds like the ASWC-1 will install on the harness from the factory headunit?

do you know offhand which fuses to tap, i have an adda a fuse circuit and i do have a tester light so i could poke around and find switched power and constant it just makes it easier if you know.
Read the attached. The 5520 you got will cover what you need to do. No need to run an accessory wire.

http://metraonline.com/files/product...20-NAV_web.pdf

Also the Scosche bezel is nicer than the Metra

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 09-02-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM

so im in my truck right now as i type and the harness is plugged into the truck side and the ASWC module plugged right into the harness, all wires color-code match each other on the radio side and the harness side except for one thing kinda puzzling, the issues is the aftermarket harness has a blue and white and a blue wire unaccounted for, heres how things break down

aftermarket harness side (to factory connections)

blue and white--unmarked
solid blue--marked power antenna

radio side harness

solid blue --labeled auto antenna

i probed with my tester to see if the unmarked blue and white was a remote wire for amps and it did not get power as i turned the truck on, so where the hell is this wire supposed to go?
also there is an orange wire marked illumination where is a good tap for this one
Old 09-02-2016, 07:39 PM

and to update i connnected everything that was supposed to and the headunit wont recognize my ipod, i can hear the tone the truck used to make when plugging in an ipod and the headunit switches to a screen like its going to play from it then it just quits and returns to home screen. something isnt right here
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM

so im in my truck right now as i type and the harness is plugged into the truck side and the ASWC module plugged right into the harness, all wires color-code match each other on the radio side and the harness side except for one thing kinda puzzling, the issues is the aftermarket harness has a blue and white and a blue wire unaccounted for, heres how things break down

aftermarket harness side (to factory connections)

blue and white--unmarked
solid blue--marked power antenna

radio side harness

solid blue --labeled auto antenna

i probed with my tester to see if the unmarked blue and white was a remote wire for amps and it did not get power as i turned the truck on, so where the hell is this wire supposed to go?
also there is an orange wire marked illumination where is a good tap for this one
Don't connect them. They are used for turning on an amp etc.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM

and to update i connnected everything that was supposed to and the headunit wont recognize my ipod, i can hear the tone the truck used to make when plugging in an ipod and the headunit switches to a screen like its going to play from it then it just quits and returns to home screen. something isnt right here
Problem is with your headunit.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Problem is with your headunit.

after a few hours im going to have to agree.
i know its capable of playing to the speakers because bluetooth works fine, so i continued with install and ran all wires and grounds/rca and remote wires and completed my stealth mount install of my sub, turned on bluetooth and nothing, sub wont fire. Used my tester and verified power going into the amp, ground, and verified power coming out via the speaker wire heading into the sub box, internally the box was wired correctly.

this headunit has a strange rear setup btw, it has a dedicated subwoofer rca but thats it, just a single RCA not a dual output like every other install ive done

plus side of it all is all the prep work is done and now is down to a headunit swap.
first time and last time buying power acoustik headunit

Quick Reply: point me in the right direction