Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Pioneer Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pioneer Upgrades

In the near future I plan on replacing my stock headunit with this one;
Pioneer AVH-P3200BT :
Amazon Amazon

Here's what I'm looking to accompany it; and make sure it's done right.
Brand: Infinity, Pioneer, or MB Quart (Pioneer is probably going to be what I go with because it's cheapest and i'm on a budget- not to mention it's uniform.)

For you audiophiles out there here's what I'm planning:

4x 3-way 6x8 speakers (maybe sub 2 front 2-ways w/ tweeters)
1x Amp

Here's what I'm looking at:
Speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6...72R.html?tp=92

Amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD9....html?tp=35782

Thoughts?

Also, if I plan to add an 'underseat' sub later-on ; will this amp bridge to power the sub as well, or will I need a mono amp on the box? Do I need crossovers for any of this, or are they built into the speakers?

I plan on doing the install myself, does this also mean rewiring to 16gauge?

I have 2 small children, so 'loud' isn't really an option; just looking for a decent sounding setup for movies on long trips.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Tort Feasor

Looks to me like you're on the right track. I had those speakers in my last car (a Mazda Tribute) and they sounded okay straight off the head unit.
However, the amp you've got picked out is a little too powerful for those speakers. IMO they are meant to run off the h/u so if you want amplified door speakers, you might look into a different combo. What you could do is combine both left speakers and both right speakers onto one channel each, and run them at 2-ohms on the amp, which would leave you two more channels to bridge for a nice powerful subwoofer.
The headunit you picked out is a solid choice. I've had three Pioneer headunits and loved them all. It will have HPF and LPF built in so you don't have to worry about crossovers unless you buy high-end component speakers.

If I were you, I'd start by upgrading all the door speakers first, then decide if you want to amplify them. Can't go wrong with that headunit though, unless you want Navi.

I'd probably urge you to spend a few more dollars on the door speakers, too. Right now I have Alpine Type-S, which I got for 110 a pair, and they sound WAAAAY better than those Pioneers, but then again I've only had them amplified, never off the head unit.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by KU Lariat
Looks to me like you're on the right track. I had those speakers in my last car (a Mazda Tribute) and they sounded okay straight off the head unit.
However, the amp you've got picked out is a little too powerful for those speakers. IMO they are meant to run off the h/u so if you want amplified door speakers, you might look into a different combo. What you could do is combine both left speakers and both right speakers onto one channel each, and run them at 2-ohms on the amp, which would leave you two more channels to bridge for a nice powerful subwoofer.
The headunit you picked out is a solid choice. I've had three Pioneer headunits and loved them all. It will have HPF and LPF built in so you don't have to worry about crossovers unless you buy high-end component speakers.

If I were you, I'd start by upgrading all the door speakers first, then decide if you want to amplify them. Can't go wrong with that headunit though, unless you want Navi.

I'd probably urge you to spend a few more dollars on the door speakers, too. Right now I have Alpine Type-S, which I got for 110 a pair, and they sound WAAAAY better than those Pioneers, but then again I've only had them amplified, never off the head unit.
I had some 3-way mb quarts in an old car of mine- I loved them; I'll look into some better speakers for the door and pass on the amp- I guess I can add it later.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The Pioneer Premier TS-D720C or Pioneer TS-D1720C are 6.75" components that will fit perfectly in the front doors (they even come with the 6x8 adapters) and sound great amped. Here's a review by Car Audio and Electronics: http://www.pioneerusa.com/ephox/Stat...E720Review.pdf .

BTW, you'll find significantly better prices than Crutchfield at other online stores.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
The Pioneer Premier TS-D720C or Pioneer TS-D1720C are 6.75" components that will fit perfectly in the front doors (they even come with the 6x8 adapters) and sound great amped. Here's a review by Car Audio and Electronics: http://www.pioneerusa.com/ephox/Stat...E720Review.pdf .

BTW, you'll find significantly better prices than Crutchfield at other online stores.
I agree, I was using crutchfield as a reference; because they're awefully good at finding what to buy and then buying it elsewhere. *snicker*

Here's what I 'think' I've decided on; as much as I'd love to stick with Pioneer, I've just heard so much Infinity lately I went to a shop and compared and they definately sound a LOT better than the Pioneer's did; especially being I'll need the component for the front tweeter holes.

Speakers:
Front (set)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086830CS/Infinity-Reference-6830cs.html?tp=106

1x Rear (set)
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1086829CF/Infinity-Kappa-682-9cf.html?tp=105

You agree it's a better choice?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Tort Feasor

I agree. Much better. GATORB8's suggestion was excellent, but if you want to stick with Infinity, you're right on the money.

I think Infinity makes a 5-channel amp, too. If you're still thinking about adding a subwoofer later, that might be the way to go.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM

For anyone still planning on the Pioneer 3200, you should know it's been replaced with another model- from what I can tell the newer '3300' supports a bunch of iPhone apps as the main difference. I don't think it supports A2DP streaming unless you buy the DVD version and ADD the bluetooth module. I was pretty upset when I installed my 3200BT and couldn't direct-stream pandora on my Android phone via Bluetooth A2DP. At least I have the 1/8" jack, still. Also the BT phone has a god awful buzzing that callers can hear, I'm not sure how to resolve that- if anyone else has this unit- tell me how you fixed it!

Other than that the unit LOOKS great stock and has pretty amazing quality preamped, I did go with the Infinity sound system, and it's way louder than my exhaust, which makes my wife pretty happy. The kids use wireless IR headphones in the back seat to watch movies while their parents can jam-out on long rides to grandma's house- the kids (and wife in the passenger seat) get a kick out of being able to view the movie on both the drop down and the receiver. (when stopped) I did bypass it so I don't need the parking break to use it, and so my wife can use all of the "configuration" options while driving- but although it often causes arguments, I refuse to let anyone use the front monitor while I'm driving.

Oh ya, for anyone planning on running component speakers in the front like I did, I found if I drilled a 1/4" hole through the back of the speaker compartment, I had a direct speaker-wire route through to the compartment where the power window controls are- a stip of 3M strip to secure it and there's plenty of room to sticky-mount your crossover under the window controls (*also provides easy access for the +3 tweeter amp switch). I mounted the tweeters on the 'outside' of the stock tweeter holes, as the stock hole wasn't large enough (well, deep enough). It looked pretty BA and blends well as if it was a "stock" design. I'll have to take some pictures of the completed install.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Upgrades