Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Pioneer radio install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer radio install questions

I am going to be installing a Pioneer AVH-x5600 BHS and a Pioneer rear view camera on my 2005 S-Crew fairly soon. Bare in mind this is my first radio install, but friends have told me it is fairly simple. I have searched several of the threads on this board, but have not been able to find the answers to a couple of questions that I have, so maybe someone can help me out.

1. When attaching the Pioneer "parking brake" green wire to the truck's parking brake, do I access the parking brake wire behind the driver's side kick panel and what color is the wire I attach to.

Also, is the side kick panel on the driver's side simple to remove, and is it held in place by any screws. (I look at it briefly and did not see any screws but I have not had much time to really study it.)

2. Since I am installing a rearview camera the Pioneer HU radio harness has a violet/white colored wire called the "Rear signal input" to automatically activate the reviewview camera when the truck is in reverse. Some on this board have attached that wire to the Rear turn signal wire. However, my truck has the Factory reverse sensor option and the on/off switch is below the factory radio. Is it possible to attach the Pioneer harness wire to the Reverse sensor wiring, and if so, does anyone know which color I need to attach to on the Ford wiring going to the switch.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RC05-F150
I am going to be installing a Pioneer AVH-x5600 BHS and a Pioneer rear view camera on my 2005 S-Crew fairly soon. Bare in mind this is my first radio install, but friends have told me it is fairly simple. I have searched several of the threads on this board, but have not been able to find the answers to a couple of questions that I have, so maybe someone can help me out.

1. When attaching the Pioneer "parking brake" green wire to the truck's parking brake, do I access the parking brake wire behind the driver's side kick panel and what color is the wire I attach to.

Also, is the side kick panel on the driver's side simple to remove, and is it held in place by any screws. (I look at it briefly and did not see any screws but I have not had much time to really study it.)

2. Since I am installing a rearview camera the Pioneer HU radio harness has a violet/white colored wire called the "Rear signal input" to automatically activate the reviewview camera when the truck is in reverse. Some on this board have attached that wire to the Rear turn signal wire. However, my truck has the Factory reverse sensor option and the on/off switch is below the factory radio. Is it possible to attach the Pioneer harness wire to the Reverse sensor wiring, and if so, does anyone know which color I need to attach to on the Ford wiring going to the switch.

Thanks for any help.
First I would use a bypass for the parking brake wire. Then you don't have to go digging for the correct wire in the kick panel
Second you don't connect anything to the turn signal wire. You connect it to the back up light wire. Most connect that back where the camera is. You will also need to connect it to the rear signal input wire. I would use a test light to see if your reverse sensor wiring is an option. I would think it would be.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I meant to say the reverse lite at the rear signal lamp, but missed it. Thanks for catching it.

After looking a bit more at the bypass, I decided to go that route.

Now I just need to figure out which wire to tap into at the backup sensor switch.

Also, Do you know if removing the driver's side side kick panel on an 05-F150 is difficult. I need to route the cable for my rear camera thru that area. I was considering zip tying the cable on top of the wiring harness that runs along the left side of the truck from the rear bumper to the driver's side kick panel.

I need to remove the kick panel to drill a small hole from below where I can enter into cab at the side kick panel panel and I did not want to hit any of the existing wiring.

If anyone know of a better option in entering the cab of the truck with the camera wiring, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks Wyo11Scab and to others for your help.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RC05-F150
Actually I meant to say the reverse lite at the rear signal lamp, but missed it. Thanks for catching it.

After looking a bit more at the bypass, I decided to go that route.

Now I just need to figure out which wire to tap into at the backup sensor switch.

Also, Do you know if removing the driver's side side kick panel on an 05-F150 is difficult. I need to route the cable for my rear camera thru that area. I was considering zip tying the cable on top of the wiring harness that runs along the left side of the truck from the rear bumper to the driver's side kick panel.

I need to remove the kick panel to drill a small hole from below where I can enter into cab at the side kick panel panel and I did not want to hit any of the existing wiring.

If anyone know of a better option in entering the cab of the truck with the camera wiring, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks Wyo11Scab and to others for your help.
Look under the door sills for a rubber plug to run the camera wire into the cab. Then zip tie the cable to the existing wires. Then under carpet up to the HU. No drilling.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 screws along the bottom edge of the drivers kick panel, and two pressure clips at the top in the corners. Once that comes off, there is a metal guard behind it held in by 4 screws.

Quick Reply: Pioneer radio install questions