Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Overhead wiring for DVD used for MP3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead wiring for DVD used for MP3

I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 with the overhead wiring for a dvd player. My question is: does anyone know if there is a way or a plug I could use to attach to that wiring and have a MP3 player adapter that will allow me to play through the existing stereo? I should mention I have the 6 disk changer Audiophile system if that matters.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Default DVD wiring used for MP3 player

Did you find a way to hook up an mp3 to the existing overhead DVD wiring to have hte sound come oout of the trucks speakers?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You can use PIE's FRD04-AUX
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 AM

Default Reply

Lynch150, I did not find anything to use the overhead wiring. The post on the PIE adapter I do not believe adapts to the overhead wiring either. I did purchase a GROM USB interface, easy hookup, but I did have to remove the stereo to connect. It is having a couple of issues and the manufacturer is getting the same stereo as mine and they say they are sure they can work out the bugs at thier shop. So I am waiting to hear from them, I'm not sure if they are going to send me a new one, or what exactly, but they did take $50 off the $130 price for my trouble. There is a 30 day return and a 1 year warranty, and I have purchased from them before, so I'm not that worried and trust them to do the right thing.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Grom's website doesn't show anything for our trucks.

The PIE adapter uses the same connector as the Rear Seat Entertainment (or Sirius) at the back of the radio.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Default GROM USB adapter

Grom's website doesn't show it, but I asked them if they had one and they said as long as the socket on the back of the stereo looked the same as a picture they sent me it would work. This was after sending them pictures of the front of the stereo. Here is the email I originally got from GROM:

Yes, please check back of the stereo first.
1. If it has the required socket, then you can order the adapter from:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...incoln_06+_usb
_ipod_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html
The device supports playing tracks stored on USB memory stick with full
control from car stereo/steering wheel.

2. The unit can be used with iPod/iPhone with additional 5-ft-long iPod
cable:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces...le-c-ipd2.html.
With this cable, the adapter allows listening to music played by
iPod/iPhone, controlling it from car stereo / steering wheel, and
supports iPod/iPhone charging from a car battery. If you order the cable
with GROM USB adapter from the page mentioned in #1, you'll get the
cable with $5 discount.

3. The device can be also used with MP3 player/XM radio/cell phone with
3.5 mm 6-ft-long cable:
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces...e-6ft35mm.html .
4. High-quality 2 GB USB sticks with GROM Audio logo are available at
http://gromaudio.com/store/accessori...b_flash_drive_
_samsung_chip_.html
5. Last but not least, $80+ orders placed until May 31 will be provided
with FREE shipping.
Regards,
Alisher

Well the socket was the same, but I am currently dealing with them to get my stereo controls to work. I can play an iPod, but have to use iPod controls. I can also use a USB memory stick, but again no stereo controls, this is especially annoying because I have no control with a memory stick, so it just plays the music one file at a time. They say they will figure it out and not to worry. I get the feeling this is how they get their adapters to work with different stereo's. I read a forum somewhere on GROM and somebody else went through the same deal and got a discount like they are offering me, and he claimed they got it to work for his vehicle. So far they have been very responsive to my emails and even phone calls, so I am not worried yet.

Last edited by blackwoodsbackwoods; 06-20-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM

what if you go the aftermarket route? just saying
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Well I considered a lot of other routes, but I really wanted to keep the stock stereo, it's the audiophile system and does everything I could want. GROM just sent me via email the firmware as they call it, and it fixed the issues I was having. You just cut and paste it from the email to a memory stick and transfer it to the converter by plugging it in and starting up your truck. With the $50 refund they gave me I feel I got a pretty good deal. I can play music from an iPod(and charge it), USB memory stick, and a MP3 player. I have full control of the USB and iPod with my stereo controls, but it will take awhile to learn what button does what. Now that they have worked out the bugs on my stereo, all future buyers should recieve one without any issues. I have had a GROM unit in my wifes truck for over 4 years and now I have one in mine, I would highly recommend. Plus they have great customer service, 1 year warranty, and 30 day return policy if you don't like it.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Hey H/D, Fire Wadell

I hate to dig up an old post, How is this working for you? I am looking at the GROM for my 2005 F150.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM

The Grom unit works great, but I have to admit it's my daughter that operates it while I drive. I can tell you we use both an Ipod and an MP3 player and Grom has been a great company to deal with. I also have a unit for our Tacoma.

Quick Reply: Overhead wiring for DVD used for MP3