Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Opinion of this setup recommended by audio shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of this setup recommended by audio shop

I am looking for a simple system to take place of the stock Sony sub.

His recommendation:

10" Orion XTR (dual 4 ohm) in a downward facing ported enclosure.
Alpine MRW M250 (250W RMS @ 2 ohm)

Can anyone chime in on this? And I have never used a ported enclosure before. What is the advantage of going ported over sealed? I am not looking to use up all the space under the back seat.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Ported boxes can make lower bass with smaller speakers and less wattage than a comparable sealed box. (Helpful in a truck where 12's are hard to fit).

All things being equal, ported boxes are usually "boomier" while sealed are "punchier". Think Lil Wayne vs Five Finger Death Punch, however, I have heard some very tight sounding well built ported boxes.

There are many exceptions to the "rule". A good sealed will own a **** ported and vice versa. Personally, I like sealed boxes, but that's just me.

I've gotten to the point where I want to have a listen to a setup before I shell out cash for it. Surely this guy is friends with a customer with the same setup in a pickup, I'd try and get a listen.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

A ported enclosure will have more output than a sealed enclosure on the same power. I always thought sealed enclosures sounded "tighter" than ported and were better for rock and other music with faster bass. ported is better for rap with longer, drawn out bass notes. this isnt a hard and fast rule though

Quick Reply: Opinion of this setup recommended by audio shop