Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

No Gear cluster lights after aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM
PJ.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Gear cluster lights after aftermarket radio

Last night I installed an aftermarket cd player in my truck. Wired all the wires together with butt connectors, taped up all the loose wires and all the good stuff. I go to get into my truck this morning and I realize I have no lights on my instrument panel. Nothing, not even on my a/c control.

First thing I checked was my fuses, and they are all working with current. Don't know where to go from here.

I don't know what possibly could've went wrong.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 04-08

if it's a 04-08 check fuse # 6 i think, it's a 15 amp, pass kick panel closest to the fire wall
Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
PJ.

It's an 04 Heritage, which is the OBS. There's a fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. I've checked all the fuses and they all have voltage to both sides. I honestly don't know what to do from here.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM

yes you have the fuse panel under the hood, but you should also have an interior fuse panel i'm not sure where it is in that model truck tho
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM

I also have just installed an aftermarket radio and my instrument cluster lights have gone out. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the 4 amp fuse going to it was blown. Replaced it with 5 amp to check it... closest thing I had handy... and when I turned on the lights it blew instantly. 95 F150. Should I be looking at the light switch? Maybe a short in the dimmer? Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 PM

PJ. GJE64,
Did you sort this out, I had the same thing happen to me and my '04 FX4?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Yes I did figure it out...and I feel a little silly about it... when I installed the radio all the wires on the on the plug-in adapter i used to connect the radio wiring to the factory plug are clipped on the ends so you can just pull on the end and about 1/4' of the insulation comes off, to make it easier to wire. Well, I missed one, and when I pushed the aftermarket radio in the dash the orange dash illumination wire must have pulled on something and pulled the insulation off the the end of the wire and was shorting out under the dash, blowing fuses. I clipped the ends of all the wires not being used and capped them, replaced the fuse, and now my dash lights work. hope this helps. I've wired many radios in the past, never thought I'd miss something like that, but, stuff happens.....
If that isin't your problem and you have used the dash illumination wire, connecting it to your radio, it seems like i remember once wiring a Sony that would not work properly with the dash illumination wire attached and I had to disconnect it to make it work right. radio worked fine after that you just couldn't dim the radio with the dash lights. Just giving you every option I can think of...

Last edited by gje64; 04-09-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: No Gear cluster lights after aftermarket radio